Chapter 3

"Y/N", you told him. "Y/N. Nice." you liked the way your name sounded in his voice. You were getting used to the way it was pronounced with a british accent, but it sounded more interesting when he said it; more exotic. "I'm Roger. Roger Taylor." he said as you extended your hand for him to shake. He seemed a bit confused, but did the same. "You shake hands", he observed with a smile on his lips.

"I shake." You said, then laughed. You felt a bit stupid, but you were still used to shaking hands, and that was not a habit you wanted to let go. His hand was callous, warm and much bigger than yours. You liked the way it felt. "Strong grip for someone not used to shaking hands", you said with a chuckle.

"Probably because of the drums. I have strong hands", he said, without thinking much, but then realised the opportunity to make it an inappropriate comment, and gave you a wink. You laughed a bit more; it felt good to be around him. He really was magnetic.

"I thought so", you said, ironically winking back. "I already knew your name, too, from the show" you said, trying to get him to talk about the band. You wanted to know more about them. Why did they disappear? But you also just wanted to hear him talk more; his raspy voice and his accent made everything sound like a secret shared between the two of you.

"Oh, right. Sorry again. It was a rough night; our vocalist told us he was quitting right before the show, just so he could avoid having to really talk to us about it. So we were really mad that day. Still should've apologized, though", he said, a shy smile on him.

"It's okay. Maybe I shouldn't have been on the way", you said, smiling back. You were smiling most of the time, really. It just felt good to imagine that maybe he thought about you as well. "So that was the reason I couldn't attend another Smile gig? The band is over?", you asked.

"Sort of. We got ourselves a new frontman; Freddie, and he changed the name of the band. He owns this stall with me, too. Said he should be back soon- Wait. You wanted to go to another Smile show?" he asked, putting some of his weight on the desk where the register sat. He looked so comfortable and relaxed, and this look suited him, too. Even though the concentrated frown he had when playing the drums still held a place in your heart.

"I do! I was on your way out because I wanted to tell you how much I enjoyed the show", you said, and he smiled a bit more. "Well, you can come see Queen. That's the new name of the band", he informed you, a bit of annoyance passing through his face. "I'm not the biggest fan of the name, but I think we sound good. We're looking for a bassist now, but it's a bit hard to find someone who plays well and has a decent personality at the same time. Bri, Freddie and I... we all got big egos. Yeah, that's a way of saying it, I guess", he rubbed his nose and looked down, thinking about what he just said, then laughed. "God, you'll think I'm an asshole. You met me when I was rude to you, and now I'm here saying I'm egotistical", he laughed a bit, looking into your eyes. Almost as if he wanted confirmation that you still thought he was interesting.

And of course you confirmed it.

"Well, I appreciate your honesty", you laughed, too. His shoulders relaxed even more. "So, how long have you been playing the drums?" you asked, at the same time he asked "So, where are you from?". You both laughed, and he asked you to answer first, but you said your question probably had a more interesting answer, and ironically batted your lashes at him while saying a long "Please", putting your weight on the same desk as he, your own hand cupping your face as you leaned against the desk.

"Ok, then. I played the guitar and the ukelele when I was really young, but then I started playing the drums because they just made more sense to me. Taught myself how to play the drums, you know" he said, raising his brows. He knew it was something that would impress you, but he also didn't take it really seriously; he was making fun of himself, in a way.