Chapter 7

ACT ONE: DUSK
"Everything is getting settled for what happens at night. It's time for anticipation. The hour of the day when you feel the potential in the air."

Chapter 7

A strong smell of cologne and cigarette smoke was the only thing your nose could capture in the boy's small dressing room. They all shared a small room as they got ready for their show, excited because it was in an actual small music festival - even though it was in the countryside. The trip there was already a bit stressful, since the car broke down twice - they had to change the tire once, and then the car engine wouldn't start, and they had to wait until another car passed on the empty road so it could jump start their car.

Roger was stressed inside the car - more so than the other boys. He insisted you went to their show, even though it was a three hour trip away, and now the car kept breaking down. He was stressed not only because there would be barely no time for them to set up their equipment for the show, but also because you might get mad at him for the shitty time you were having.

When you both got off the car to look for the jumper cables in the back - or jumper leads, as he called them - he apologized for the whole situation. "It's not your fault, Rog. I want to go to the show, I want to see you guys play. Even if none of us are very satisfied with the situation right now, I'm not blaming you", you said, and you two exchanged a tired smile.

"Well, I am. I thought this van was in better conditions, Mr Taylor", Freddie said, getting off the car. "It's better than no van at all, Freddie", Roger answered. "It's a long trip in a bad road, full of holes. If there was less holes, the tire wouldn't need to be changed, and the car would only have a problem starting once we were returning. It's easier if we blame Roger, though. More satisfying", John said, also getting off the van.

"I was about to thank you, but then you kept talking and changed my mind" Roger said with an ironic grin. "I'm not getting off this car to make any snarky remarks. I'm gonna take a nap until you fix this", Brian said, his voice sounding distant as he laid down on the back seat of the van.

"Now that sounds smart", you said back at him, but you started moving down the road. "But I don't think it's gonna be a long nap, Bri. There's a car coming", you continued as you saw the car get closer.

"I hope whoever's there helps us", Deacy said. "They will", Roger said, almost aggressively. He was mad at himself for the whole situation. "Relax, Rog. Let me handle this", you told him.

"Yeah, let Y/N seduce the driver into helping us", Freddie said, teasing Roger. "I guess I won't have to", you said, as the car got closer and you had a good look at the driver. "It's an old lady", and she started slowing down as she noticed you.

She was incredibly nice. You barely had to ask before she got off the car, even taking the cables off Deacy's hands and connecting both car batteries. "You know, you should take this car to a shop as soon as possible", she said, looking at Roger. "Yeah, I'll do that as soon as we get back to London", he answered her, feeling as if his mom was giving him a lecture. The lady was tough, but caring. "If you were my grandson, I'd take it for you. I just came back from visiting him in London. He reminds me of you, all of you, with the long hair and... different... clothing. Except you, of course, dear", she said, now talking to you. "You remind me of myself, a few years ago. I used to go on road trips with my husband all the time, before he got drafted, you know", and she kept talking as she helped Roger and John to start the car.

After that, she opened her backseat and got a big Tupperware full of scones, and jelly and cream on two smaller Tupperwares. "Just so you have a snack on your way and don't perform on an empty stomach", she said, looking at you one by one. "You really remind me of my grandson", she told Deacy, and gave him a hug. He froze at first, confused, but soon relaxed and hugged her back.