Chapter 13

ACT TWO - NIGHT

"Everything is more intense at night."

Chapter 13

Roger woke up with a drop of water hitting his face. He got up and looked out - the sun was barely starting to rise, the rooster hasn't even crowed yet. But it was raining, or better yet, pouring. The old house always had leaks when it rained. It was one of the many reasons he wanted to get the album ready and get the fuck out this farm.

He got up, moving his bed to the side so his mattress wouldn't be ruined, and went downstairs to look for a bucket. He found one under the sink, and got back upstairs to see if he could go back to sleep, but the sound of the dripping water annoyed him. He went downstairs, hoping he could maybe watch some TV to go back to sleep. Maybe Doctor Who re-runs; they reminded him of you.

He was thinking about how they would have to step on mud to go to the studio outside the farm house as he went downstairs. He got to the window in the living room to confirm it, but Brian's voice interrupted him. "Morning, Rog", he said from the kitchen. "Is the ceiling of your room leaking, too?", Roger asked, still moody. He probably only got about four hours of sleep.

"Yeah. I bet Freddie will wake up soon because of that. Deacy is probably the only one who will be able to sleep", Brian answered, pointing his head in the direction of Deacy's room, on the ground floor.

"I guess it's karma for us, then", Roger said, and Brian laughed. "You sound like Y/N. Go get some essential oil while your at it", Bri commented, and Roger laughed. "Do you want some coffee? I don't think I'll be able to fall asleep again", Brian offered, and Roger nodded his head yes. "Thanks, Bri. I'll make some scrambled eggs, then", the blonde said, getting the pan.

Brian just served the coffee on two mugs when the phone started ringing. "Do you want to pick it up? I don't want to talk to anyone this early in the morning", Roger said. Especially because he had a guess for who's calling. You were probably still sleeping, and so was his mom. And the new label was pissed at them - they were late on the production of the album.

But he still payed attention to Brian as he picked up the phone, in the hopes it would be you. It's been three weeks since you left, and you couldn't visit him, as your finals were approaching. You sounded drained on the phone, and he asked you why. Apparently, your work was consuming even more of your time because of some researcher the Museum was partnering with. Roger didn't really understand, but he just wanted to cuddle you, kiss your shoulders so your neck would shiver and the tension would disappear from them. He wanted to see you.

But the album was late, and the record label was calling almost everyday to hurry the band. Most of the songs were ready, but they needed to finish a few more so the album would really be complete. They spent most of the time in the studio, being there for about 15 hours everyday. But it wasn't enough, and they were all tense; the bickering becoming more constant, the fights more intense. In a moment he doesn't feel proud of, Roger locked himself in a cupboard to make sure his song would be the b-side for Bohemian Rhapsody, Freddie's favourite song he wrote for the album, the lead single. It worked, but it was still a pretty stressful afternoon inside a dark cupboard.

The desire to prove themselves as a band, more than a one hit wonder with Killer Queen, started as motivation for the recording of this album. But now it casts a shadow over the band, the pressure pulling them down by the shoulders. None of them were in a good place, psychologically speaking. The fear of failure served as fuel for them to keep producing, but that took a tool on them, too. They were getting burned out.

Brian picked up the phone, but by his expression, Roger knew it wasn't you calling. Bri tried to explain himself to whoever it was on the other side of the line, but he kept being interrupted. By that, Roger realized it was the label.