10. Patterns Disrupted

Katie's POV
It was a rare, sunny, autumn day in forks and I was enjoying the sun while eating lunch outside. I was munching down on my apple as I saw Bella walk outside alone. Huh, that's strange. Normally her and Edward and their posse of pale people (as I affectionately call them) are always together. I waved to a lost looking Bella and she joined me at my empty table. "Hey Bells, where's your boy toy?" I asked her as I sunned my face in the rare sunlight. She blushed and said "He's away camping, they do that when the weathers nice." Well okay then, that's not fair.

We chatted and exchanged notes of what happened since I saw her a few hours earlier when she dropped me off. Jake and I had finished the bikes and they looked stellar, but Charlie would have a heart attack if he knew I was driving that around, so I suffered through Bellas ridiculously ancient and slow car. But after school Jacob would pick me up on the bike and we would hang out. What we were doing never really mattered, we could make anything fun.

Sometimes we would go for walks on the beach or through the woods. Sometimes I would help him in the garage. Sometimes we would just watch movies or play cards. The main thing we did was talk. We could talk for hours just laughing and learning about each other. One time, Billy rolled in to find Jacob and I laying upside down on the couch with our legs on the couch and our backs on the floor, just talking in this position to get 'more comfortable' .

My favorite memories so far included when we helped Emily cook and when she went to the bathroom, Jake smeared batter on my face. So, naturally, I threw some at him, and it became a war zone. We got thrown out of her house for a while, but it was so worth it. And ever since I proved how adept I was at climbing trees, we would climb up super high and talk about everything. Or we would go find an abandoned dirt road and race the bikes until the wind forced tears to my eyes. Jake and the boys were quickly becoming my favorite people to hang out with. For once I didn't dread going inside, though I had to catch myself a few times when I kept flinching when anyone would raise their hands or touch my back. Even though I knew Jake noticed and wanted to ask about it, I was grateful beyond measure that he didn't push, that he respected my privacy enough.

My thoughts were cut off as the loud purr of an engine cut through the air. I turned to look at what caused the commotion and saw Jacob on his bike riding up to the parking lot. Oh yeah, I thought, it's Friday. Jake has promised to save me from a sure to be "boring me to death" lecture in history today. It wasn't that I was a bad student, quite the contrary, I'm a straight A student. But I've got history, biology and English after lunch. And I've already learned what they are learning right now, due to me transferring. So skipping wasn't really a big deal.

Some of Bellas friends came up with a shocked looks. But I only had eyes for Jacob and a wicked smile spread on my lips as everyone stared. He parked the bike and leaned next to it  in nonchalance. I couldn't help but laugh. As I started to walk over to him Bella grabbed my hand and said "Katie what are you doing?" I just patted her hand and said "Chill Bells, skipping is necessary to fuel adolescence creativity and all that Jazz." She gave me a concerned smiled and let go. But not before saying "Be safe!" I yelled over my shoulder "Aren't I always?"

As I approached Jacob with a huge smile and said laughing "Sup dork." Jacob smirked and gave me a bow offering me my helmet. I took it and punched him in the shoulder while laughing. "Ow, chica don't hurt the help." "Oh please like I actually hurt you" I said back to him. He held his hand up to the top of my head, still well below his own. "You taking steroids K? You've grown like three inches" I gave him a skeptical look as I finished zipping up my bag. He noted my skeptical look and said " No, really. I'm about 6'7 and you were probably about 5'8 when you got here. Now you seem like 5'11ish." I pulled my bag onto my shoulder and feigned forgetfulness "Oh yeah, did I forget to tell you that you're freakishly tall?" He smirked and took my helmet from my hands and plunked it on my head. "No actually,  seeing as you mention it 20 times a week." Just as I was about to snap a reply, continuing our banter. One of Bellas friends jogs up. His name was Mike...I think. He was always annoyingly buddy buddy with me in hopes to get with Bella. It would've been kinda cute if it hadn't been so desperately sad.