13. The Checkup

Katie's POV:
As I followed Bella, Charlie, and Carlisle, I glanced sideways at Jacob. His shoulders were tight, his jaw clenched, his eyes simmering. I brushed my fingers against his, those brown eyes met mine and softened. I tilted my head in silent questioning Are you alright? His eyes danced with laughter although I could still see the undercurrent of worry, and I could see the reply in his eyes which said Shouldn't I be asking you that? I stuck my tongue out at him and he huffed a laugh.

We reached the top of the stairs and Carlisle opened the door which revealed an office space with a small curtained off area in the corner. The pale doctor then turned to me and said "So for the physical, I will need to give you a general examination that may lead to more thorough one. Do you have any questions?" His voice was soft and calm. I mutely shook my head trying to swallow down the bile that arose in my mouth at the thought of a stranger touching my back.

Carlisle motioned for me to move over to that area and I hesitantly started moving that way, Jacob close on my heels. Charlie, Bella, and Edward's eyes on me were a burning pressure. Suddenly it was hard to breathe.

Carlisle, ever the gentleman, seemed to pick up on this and said "As this is a medical examination, and this room is quite small, the less people the better." He then turned to me "Of course you can have someone in here with you if you would like that."

Without a thought, my hand grabbed Jake's. His warm, strong hand encased mine and filled me with reassurance as he squeezed my hand back in response.

Edward made eye contact with Bella and they started moving for the exit, with Bella stopping to give me a gentle hug. Charlie coughed a bit and awkwardly said "Yeah...uh...so I'll just be out there." And made a swift exit.

"All right then," Carlisle says "Lets begin."

Carlisle checked my blood pressure, heart rate, and checked my breathing, eyes and ears (all normal). His cold hands were steady and calm; a placid smile never left his face.

But it was Jacob who was the most reassuring. He was a solid, warm presence at my back. His hand brushed against my back comfortably any time I felt the urge to freak out. His eyes never left Carlisle and I knew if he just blinked wrong in my direction, that Jake would have me out of there in a heartbeat.

A few tense minutes later, Carlisle turned to me and said, "Ok, now if you wouldn't mind removing your jacket so I could take a look at your back." I tried to take a deep breath but my lungs decided to crap out on my so I simply nodded.

Jakes warm eyes met mine in silent reassurance as I looked over my shoulder, and that gave me the courage to lift up and remove the sweatshirt.

My skin prickled as the cold air conditioning hit my bare skin. I turned around to face Jake and felt my cheeks redden as I place the soft cloth next to me and I feel Carlisle examining my back. My breath catches in my throat as he gently skims his cold hands across the scars; testing the skin.

He looks at the scars, both old and new for a while, and then gently touches the few still healing scabs along my back, right below my sports bra. "These were recent, weren't they?" He questioned gently. I somehow found my voice and said "Yes, they're from right before I left."

Jakes eye were soft, but not with pity. He extended his hand to me, and mine, slightly shaking, reached out to join him. His warm hand enveloped mine, rough callouses lightly scratching against my own.

After examining my back, Carlisle had me put the jacket back on and after righting a few brief notes, he turned to Jacob and I and motioned us out of the room.

"Why don't you too head downstairs, there is some food in the fridge I believe. And I need to speak with your uncle Katie. Don't worry though, your wounds have healed extraordinarily well and should not require extra attention." Carlisle informed us.

I nodded at him and Jacob followed me out of the door, padding on near silent feet.

——time skip——

It was near 10 o'clock at night when Jake dropped me off at Charlie's House. Charlie and Bella has stayed with Carlisle to do some paperwork and talk about the abuse I went through. They asked if I wanted to stay, and that was a quick no. I lived through it. Didn't need a play by play.

My thoughts were interrupted by Jacobs shoulder brushing against mine. "Hey" he said softly, the inherent fierceness of his face slipping into a gentleness I doubted many saw, "you alright?" I shrugged noncommittally and leaned my head back to look up at the sky.

The stars were so bright up here. Like some god had carelessly thrown a handful of diamonds across pitch black fabric. I loved when they came out. Lighting up the sky. My silent and stalwart friends, making me feel not so alone in this world.

Jacob grabbed my hand and wordlessly tugged me behind the house into the bit of grassy space before the woods took over. The lush grass was soft against my feet, like a blanket covering the earth.

Jacob sat down, my hand still in his, pulling me down with him. The grass and the night were cool, bordering on cold.

He laid back stretching one arm above his head the other wrapped around my shoulders pulling me into his side. As if he could tell that I needed the contact, the warmth, the reassurance.

I loved the easy, comfortable silence flowing between us as we laid there, staring up at the beautiful night sky. The silvery light of the moon gilded Jacobs face.

I breathed in deeply, the scent of the mist coated night and a different, new, comforting smell; Like pine trees and woodsmoke, settled deep into my lungs.

I closed my eyes and rolled into him, his arm around my shoulders, supporting my neck, and buried my face in his chest. His chest heaved, as he inhaled an unsteady breath.

"Did you know," I asked him, my voice whisper soft, "that you're the best friend, well, only true friend, I've ever had."

Warm air brushed my cheek as Jacob huffed a laugh. "That's a damn good thing for me isn't it? I would hate to be robbed of your company."

I tilted my head up to look at him and smiled. "Well, I am pretty great. It'd be a disservice to you to deny you my wonderful presence." Our laughs filled the night.

And as Jacob tucked me back into his side, his arm securely holding me to his chest, our gazes locked skyward at the unusually clear night, I drifted of into a peaceful slumber.