20. Instincts

Katie POV:
Rage. That's all I felt. Overwhelming, unrelenting rage. I could barely think back to the decision to ride over to the Rez. I could barely remember getting on the bike. After Jake left, my body suddenly flushed with heat, and not in the good way. Pain shot through me. I felt lost. Stumbling around. Then fear and rage ran through me. The intensity of those feelings gave me clarity and direction. I knew what I had to do even if the part of my brain that was still rational was questioning: What the hell was wrong with me? What the hell was I doing? Nevertheless, I got on the bike and road fast and hard to the Rez.

All I knew was now. My body was shaking and trembling uncontrollably, an uncomfortable heat flooding me. This infernal heat. The wind from the bike couldn't cool me. Even the mist off the ground kissing my face seemed to steam against my cheeks. A tremor shook me and the pain that accompanied it made me nauseous.

The bike roared under my hand. I didn't even know where exactly I was racing to. But I had a feeling deep inside me that it was urgent. My heart was racing uncomfortably fast. I could feel my pulse fluttering in my neck. Sweat beaded on my forehead and upper lip.

I turned, following the curve of the road as my head positively pounded. Black spots flashed before my eyes. I dismounted the bike when I saw the familiar shape of Bella's truck. My breath was harsh in my ears. I ran towards the group that had amassed. Rage was a song in my blood. An unfamiliar smell washed over me. Oh god it burned my nose. But I caught other scents on the wind as well.

A floral smell mixed with fear and mortality...Bella.

But then I latched onto a scent that made my heart sing. I took a deep breath, pulling the familiar scent deep into my lungs. A smell of pine, woodsmoke, and rain. A smell of the woods. Of home. Jacob.

The black spots in my vision cleared. And the sight I took in made my blood boil with a fresh wave of anger. My mind was so hazy that I didn't even really know what I was taking in, but I knew that scent. I instinctively knew that scent, the sickly sweet one, meant danger, not only danger, but it made me want to rip out the owner of the scents throat.

In the back of my mind, as I raced forward, I registered Bella crying out for me and Edwards protective arms holding her. That just fueled my rage. How dare he. How dare he touch her.

In a far corner of my mind I understood how absurd this was. Edward is Bella's boyfriend and was holding her when she's in obvious duress. But for some reason, logic wasn't working in my brain. Only basic heavy emotions. Anger. Fear. And a deep protective instinct of that familiar scent.

I saw a wolf with a similar scent crouching down, defending Jacob from that horrible smell again. Their body language exuded aggression. I don't know why I wasn't confused. I don't know what was happening. I don't know why I felt everything so strongly. But I did know that I couldn't let that wolf fight alone.

A tremor ran up and down my spine. I passed Edward and Bella, closing in on the fight about to happen.

The rage and heat was too intense. I growled, more animal than sentient being. And leapt. I didn't care about the horrendous pain or the loud ripping noise.

No, all I knew was that Jacob was about to be attacked and I would not let that happen. I landed. Not caring that I traded two legs for four, hands for paws, and teeth for elongated, razor sharp canines.

Letting instinct take over completely, I tackled the predator. Shoving him back and back and back. Then I jumped over the male. Standing in front of Jacob and the wolf I planted myself, lowering my head and bared my teeth. I could feel my hackles rise, making my form appear larger.

I held my position until the truck rumbled away and their scents faded.

But then. Oh god. The utter agony. I felt like my bones had melted and reformed in this new body. Oh god. I started to hyperventilate, I heard a whimper and realized it was coming from me. What was happening to me? I stumbled and glanced down, I had paws. I tried to cry out, to yell for help, but all that came out was a strangled yelp. I couldn't take this. This pain. This confusion. Was this it? Was I finally going crazy?

Jacob stepped towards me, the sudden movement sparked an unprecedented amount of fear and I ran. Crashing through the trees and underbrush I tried to outrun the pain and fear. It was too much. I couldn't take it.

Eventually I crumbled, my body crashing down onto the hard ground. My breath huffed out of me. I pushed my head into the ground. I tried to curl my fingers but I only succeeded in curling my claws. My ears twitched, every sound was too loud. Every scent too strong.

Eventually I just laid there and let the pain run over me, pulling me under its current as I softly cried out for someone, anyone, to make this utter agony end.

I don't know how much later it was, but howls pierced the air. I could barely hear them over agony. It blinded me. Deafened me. Then I heard the voices. God I really was going crazy.

You're not crazy.

It's ok. I know it hurts but try to stay calm.

Try to breathe, it won't always hurt this bad.

Stay where you are. We'll come to you.

All these different voices chimed in. And different thoughts bombarded me. Different images and feelings that weren't my own. They were trying to calm me. Even though I could barely think over the pain, I did feel comforted. Like I had just been welcomed home by a long lost friend.

I- I c-can't it hurts. I don't understand. My thoughts dissolved into a strained cry.

Then a voice I recognized called out to me and the other voices faded into background noise.

Katie? Katie. I know you. You are not crazy. Please try to calm down. I know. I know it's painful, but it'll pass. Try to focus on my voice. I'm coming to get you. I promise. Just stay calm, ok? You will get through this. I'm coming. I'm coming to get you.

Jacob. Jake was coming. I was so relieved I wanted to cry. But then a fresh wave of agony arrived, and the world went black.