A Dream of Files

Staring at the files it seemed hard to believe.

I just hoped nobody found it hard to believe my lies in order to cover for these kids.

“What the hell does F22 mean Westren?” Ricky asked.

“It's a type of plane I think.” I said, theories fluttered about my head, but I kept my mouth shut knowing voicing them would give me away.

“Five teenagers…. Five human beings with a life ahead of them, sentenced to years in prison….. What got them in this mess?” Officer Fents asked, her usual high squeaky tone, low and brittle.

“Perhaps they got involved with drugs, and thugs.” I said keeping my face neutral. “Hung around the wrong people…. Got it in their head that if they wanted something done they had to do it themselves.” Only silence met me as every one contemplated if this had been their own child.

“Is this for sure the troupe of kids taking down street thugs and local criminals, or should we still be-” Fents was quickly cut off bye the captain as he strode into the room.

“It's them.” He said without a doubt in his voice.

I sighed. Five good kids. Five good kids who decided they needed to be like that Green arse hat on the news with the little bow and arrow.

Captain quickly briefed us on the people- the kids we would be interrogating. He sighed as he looked at the first two files.

“Barry Allen. One of our own.” The room held their breaths as they thought of the doofy kid upstairs in forensics who always had a smile and the face of an eleven year old.

He threw the file down, letting all of us glimpse into the life of some one we never thought much of.

:-:-:-:-:-:-:
Subject:
Barry H. Allen
-
Age:
18
-
Gender:
Male
-
Mother:
Nora T. Allen
-
Father:
Henry P. Allen
-
Other:
Case F22
-
Charges:
Accomplice
Grand Theft Auto
Breaking and Entering
Resisting Arrest
:-:-:-:-:-:-:

“Next is Lavensen.” Once again the room went still. The girl, she was here every week at least to take on extra work or help wherever she could.

Graduating in less then a month, she had already applied to be in the lab upstairs, her grades flew off the charts, and stubborn as a pig she was a valuable asset to us even without being paid yet.

Her file should have been a Resume. Yet here it sat, with a government seal, and the big black stamp to approve authenticity.

:-:-:-:-:-:-:
Subject:
Jade E. Lavensen
-
Age:
17
-
Gender:
Female
-
Mother:
Sandra C. Laven
-
Father:
James F. Laven
-
Other:
Case F22
-
Charges:
Accomplice
Grand Theft Auto
Breaking and Entering
Resisting Arrest
:-:-:-:-:-:-:

“Next are two boys. Little to no record on either”

:-:-:-:-:-:-:
Subject:
Roy Harper
-
Age:
17
-
Gender:
Male
-
Mother:
N/A
-
Father:
N/A
-
Other:
Case F22
-
Charges:
Accomplice
Grand Theft Auto
Breaking and Entering
Resisting Arrest
:-:-:-:-:-:-:

Looking at the familiar faces I've been helping for the past month my heart lurched.

:-:-:-:-:-:-:
Subject:
Lincoln S. Campbell
-
Age:
19
-
Gender:
Male
-
Mother:
N/A
-
Father:
N/A
-
Other:
Case F22
-
Charges:
Accomplice
Grand Theft Auto
Breaking and Entering
Resisting Arrest
:-:-:-:-:-:-:

“Last.” The captain continued. “The girl from Tullen case. Finally discovered.” No one in the room needed to rack their brains for information on this one. The Tullen case. A case of scandal, blood, and lies. Mother and husband rip each other to shreds over a mistress, taking a hospital of people to the grave in pursuit of each other. And in the centre, the mistress, madly infatuated with the little girl. When the parents were dead she kidnapped the child, only to be found dead alone on a runway three years later with a letter of confession, telling of her mass manipulation to get the couple to kill each other so she could have the girl as her own child. A twisted story that haunted the city of Denver for over six years. The girl was never found. Until now it seemed.

And on the file, just as I feared.
Arora Tullen.

:-:-:-:-:-:-:
Subject:
Aurora N. Tullen
-
Age:
18
-
Gender:
Female
-
Mother:
Ellen W. Tullen
(Deceased)
-
Father:
Jared L. Tullen
(Deceased)
-
Other:
Case F22
-
Charges:
Breaking and Entering
1st Degree Murder
2nd Degree Murder
Resisting Arrest
Grand Theft Auto
:-:-:-:-:-:-:

°°°°°°°°°

He woke in a cold sweat. Third time he has seen this. Through “Westren’s” eyes. He quickly looked over to the sleeping figure beside him. Her breath was steady as she slept.

Soon.

With the frequency that these dreams now came…. Within months she would be behind bars.
He would change it. He had to. He would not see that fate bestow itself upon her.