The Ally Cat

The flames danced with the shadows they cast upon the mismatched walls made of brick, wood, and stone. Graffiti hastily painted on the walls had peeled and crumbled with shoddy repairs made to the old crumbling buildings. Walking further into the ally my lightning called to me. A distant call as if it lingered by where the wires were most abundant. I pushed the spark away, readying myself for this conversation. For so long it played out in my head, for so long I had run this over in my head.

I had countless speeches.

But then I walked around the corner and I saw her, a small smirk was etched upon her sharp face as she watched the people she sat around and a speech would not do. They glanced to her, noting her reactions and looking for approval. I would prove nothing other my ability to be bitter if I informed them they would never gain that from her. Her eyes flashed to mine and she bristled.

I walked over unable to keep my eyes from inspecting her. She had a new scar, a small one on her forehead right before her hairline. She had gained weight- enough to filler her out, rather then her looking sick. She sat up from where she had been lounging and watched me. A feline infatuated with her newest prey.

Most of all my eyes traced her lips, and I wobbled. So slightly and subtly yet she did not miss it. Did not look away for even a second. A test. A challenge. Who would look away first. Who would declare submission bye lowering to the other's gaze. If I had wanted to look away I wouldn’t have. Couldn't have.

“Mistress,” I said the word feeling warm on my tongue. “Mistress.” I said again, testing its feel and how it rolled. Of what if implied and how she had gotten it. Amusement shone in her eyes. “Dare I ask for your hand. Dare I ask for your blade. Dare I ask for your allegiance.” Dare I ask for your love? I would not say those last words even if they screamed to be spoken.

“Dare? Or May I? You sound as if your at the mercy of a creature. That you would be torn to shreds for merly standing among us.” She asked, sarcasm thickly built upon her words for I could indeed be shred by this creature and her minions.

“Aurora.” I did in indeed dare to say. That was all she needed before standing and slinking off knowing she did not need to beckon me- I would follow.

------

“No.” She flat out said it. “No.” She repeated, her gaze burning into me. We laid on a sleeping bag in a forgotten attic watching each other. Was this where she held all meetings concerning her blade? Or perhaps only for me did she feel content enough to allow me into her sleeping quarters.

“Aur-” She leaned in close to me and I tensed, not knowing what to do.

“You amuse me.” She said. My power flickered, only momentarily, but she felt it. Could sense it.

“Say yes.” My words lacked the harshness I had willed them to have.

“No.” She responded again. Smooth. Calculated. I knew what she was like when those qualities fled her in terror from her undying and unyielding rage. “I will not fight with you.” I cringed before responding.

“Because of me or because of him.” A muscle in her jaw flickered, enough to tell me all I needed to know. I stood up suddenly feeling cold disappointment flickering like a cold flame through me. “He will betray you-you know.” When she responded her eyes were distant, the voice little more than a whisper.

“I know.” So I left. And she made no attempt to follow me.

----------

It had been two months since that encounter. And while I never believed she would turn to me, here she was.

I had hardly opened the door, cold rain rushing in. She stood on my doorstep. Head bowed. Broken.

“I don’t have an extra bed.” I rasped.

“Then I will sleep on the floor.” She said. Her voice was raw and cracked from screaming no doubt. She would tell me later. After she washed the blood off her face and the redness in her eyes from crying went away.

“I give you my blade.” Nothing more. She wanted nothing more. Would give nothing more.

“I will introduce you to the others in the morning.” Was my only way of an answer.

-+-+-+-

Hey guys,

So far the story hasn't really started, just a boring authors note and two weird chapters. Next chapter the story takes off so don't fret.

See you next time, don't the drink lava.

-Mount Palm out.