Chapter 4

Chapter 4 Magic

You were walking alongside your mother, who was just finishing an explanation on the multiverse and how you had gotten there after hearing your story. At the end of her explanation you were silent for a minute, eventually saying:

"So magic… exists."

"I believe it would be hard to accept for you, considering your decision to focus on science."

"…Maybe it would've been hard to accept before. But now… it explains everything." you replied.

"So are you ready to learn the way of the mystic arts?" she asked.

"…Yes." you replied.

Before your answer had even finished leaving your lips a door opened, revealing a spacious room with a tea table on the side. Asia was kneeling in front of it, dressed in a dark blue acolyte robe, much like your own. You kneeled beside her, as a woman handed you a cup of tea.

"Are you all right?" Asia asked.

"I… I am." you replied with a smile. "I really thought I was going to go insane for a second after my mom told me who she was."

"And you're sure about this." Asia asked.

"…I am. After everything that happened and hearing about your gift it's the only thing that explains the problem."

Asia looked at you for a second and nodded with a smile. Before you were able to say anything else the woman who had given you the tea returned, taking Asia away. You got up and saw your mother on the floor in the center of the room.

"I'm sorry about separating the two of you. The magic inside that girl needs to be cultivated differently… You really have made some interesting friends."

"It's all right." you replied. "And you are right. A few of my friends do seem to be quite interesting."

Your reply got a smile or of the both of you, which didn't quite leave your face even after you were kneeling in front of the woman.

"The language of the Mystic Arts is as old as civilization. The sorcerers of antiquity called the use of this language "spells"." your mom explained. "We harness energy drawn from other dimensions of the Multiverse to cast spells, to conjure shields and weapons, to make magic!"

As she was talking a shape began forming in front of her, crackling lines of orange energy combining in increasingly elaborate ways. You watched everything carefully, instinctively looking for a clue that this was a scam. But this time it didn't show up at all. So you nodded.

"At the root of existence, mind and matter meet. Thoughts shape reality. Are you ready to accept what you cannot see? What lies beyond your senses?" your mother asked.

"I am ready." you replied.

Timeskip

You were now inside an interior courtyard, where multiple people were also practicing. According to your mom the morning was going to be for practical lessons, while the afternoon was reserved for theory and complex magic.

You grabbed a sling ring, as instructed, and listened to the instructions of the man talking. As he explained visualising a destination you pictured your apartment and began moving your hand in a circle. The gate was almost appearing, but it didn't seem you'd complete it soon.

"Ummm… I can't really picture a destination that's in this universe." you finally said as your mother passed by, since everyone had managed to create the gate.

"It's true that not many try traveling between universes at first… Come with me." she said opening a gate of her own.

You ended up on the top of a tall building, in the middle of a crowded city, right beyond the railing. A little panicked you grabbed the nearest object.