Chapter 5

For the first time in months I woke up comfortably in my own nice warm bed. Opposed to my usual sleeping habits, I went to sleep at a reasonable hour and woke up feeling completely refreshed. I made my way out of bed, and rubbed my frail arms to generate warmth as I opened up the doors to the balcony. I figured it was early, considering the sun was just coming up over the trees that towered above in the distance. Ares worked his stumpy legs over to join me as I shut my eyes and let my head fall back. This was nice. For the first time in a long time I felt relaxation and peace at mind. My eyes cracked open and I was met by the sight of a clear crystal blue sky. Inhaling the open summer breeze, I tousled my hair and leaned against the stone pillar and let my muscles relax. The longer I stood there the faster my thoughts became clouded. Events from last night replayed in my head, and I had a hard time determining whether or not it was just a dream. I moaned and rubbed my forehead. I knew that relaxation wouldn't last long. I decided that standing there wasn't helping my sanity so I abruptly left and shut the big glass doors. I ran my fingers through my hair as I walked to the bathroom. A severe head ache flooded my head unexpectedly. Groaning, I entered the bathroom and sat on the counter bringing my knees up to my face and closed my eyes. I groaned softly to myself while I let random thoughts escape my mouth. "I thought I heard you moving around." Ronnie said as he found me the bathroom. 

"Wh-what?"

"Are you okay?" He said, waving his hand slowly in my face. I swatted it away, pursing my lips.

"Stop it, I'm fine. What are you doing here?" 

"I stayed the night here? Your couch is really comfortable." 

"Is that sarcasm?" I said, narrowing my eyes on him. "No, I mean your couch is actually really comfortable..." 

I looked him up and down as he stood before me. I wasn't intimidated at all, or scared even. That's how I remember feeling when I was around him. "I don't have any pants on and this is awkward, so uh.. get out."

"Since you asked so nicely!" Ronnie said, as he left the room. "And that WAS sarcasm!" I heard him yell from the distance. I ran in his direction down the hallway but he wasn't there anymore. I bolted down the stairs and ran towards the kitchen to find him, but he was no where to be found. I laughed to myself and felt like a little kid. I ran into the living room and screamed at the top of my lungs when I seen Ronnie, accompanied by four other guys. I left as quickly as I entered and ran to the kitchen with Ares at my heels thinking I was playing with him. I slid and fell before I could sharply turn the corner and make a dash for my room. "Yay..." I moaned into arm, and I made my way back to my feet. "Did I scare you away? Because that usually happens to me when it comes to girls." I turned around and seen Ryan standing behind me. I tried to cover myself up the best I could considering I was still standing there in just my panties and a t-shirt. "Er..um..no. You didn't scare me away. I don't have pants on if you couldn't tell." I snapped. "Hey, were just guys, it's no big deal!" I shot him a sharp look as he shrugged his shoulders and rummaged through the fridge. "What is this stuff? Looks fancy." 

"Half of the things in that fridge cost more than your entire house." 

"So I could technically be eating my house, and my car then? Cool." He said as he grabbed an arm-full of the fridge containment's. "Hey, did I sa-" 

"Oh sorry..." 

I was cut off as I heard a British accent. 

"Jacky look, this yogurt costs more than my house!" 

Jacky smiled and tried to sound interested as Ryan went on and on about all the fancy food he found hanging out in my fridge. I scoffed and marched back up stairs and slammed my door. "I'm not letting my house be over ran by simple minded, eye liner wearing, band boys!" I screamed, and flung myself onto my bed. I sat up, and screamed when I seen Ronnie sitting in the chair across from me playing with his phone. "Simple minded, eyeliner wearing, band boys?" He laughed, but not letting his eyes move away from his phone. I groaned, and got up from the bed and put some sweatpants on. After I was completely dressed I went and sat on Ronnies lap. "I'm sorry. This is all weird and new for me."  I said gracefully and hugged his head. He laughed and wrapped his arms around my waist. "I know, it's fine. Ryan is simple minded." I exhaled with relief and went to the bathroom. I had no motive to do anything today, so i flung my hair up into a messy bun and pawed around in a drawer for my reading glasses. Swiftly, I grabbed a book from my shelf and laid across my bed. Ronnie's eyebrow furrowed and he shot me a questionable gaze. He laughed to himself and shook his head. That bothered me. "What's so fucking funny?" I yelled as i sprang up from the bed. "You read?" 

"Sometimes!" I yelled at him, clentching my fists. He laughed and got up from the chair. 

"I have somethings I have to go and sign, but I'll be back later. All of us can go out to dinner or something." He patted my shoulder and left, still laughing to himself. As he shut the door I whipped a pillow in his direction. Guessing by the volume of his laughter getting louder, he heard the thud and only wanted to irritate me more. Asshole. I grabbed a hoodie and zippered it up. Gracefully raindrops began to fall outside. Today was probably a good day to do a whole lot of nothing. I decided to watch some movies and have some self bonding time. I crouched down and observed my movie rack before selecting one of my favorite movies and heading downstairs to have a nice date with my couch. I put the movie in. Tim Burtons, The Nightmare Before Christmas. I loved Tim Burton. I put my hood up so that I resembled an Eskimo and let the crevasses of the couch swallow me. I turned it up so loud so that I was able to block out any other thoughts that dare trespass my peaceful serenity. 

"And I, Jack the Pumpkin King..." I sang out, quoting the movie. 

"..have grown tired of the same old thing." Said a voice, as I turned to see Jacky slouching behind me in the door frame. Startled, I jumped up from the couch and ripped the hood off from my head.

"Jesus! Way to scare me!" I screamed. 

"I'm sorry. Ronnie asked me to stay just in case you needed anything. I was in the kitchen, and this is one of my favorite movies... Sorry..." He blushed and looked down. My mood changed, and I felt apologetic. He unzipped his hoodie revealing his arm that had tattoos inspired by the movie. His arms were nice and cut. The type where you could only be able to tell if he was undressed, otherwise you'd never know. I walked over to him and pulled him by the hand and led him to the couch. There were no words spoken between us, we both sat there and watched the movie. I tucked my bang behind my ear and turned to him. "So..." He didn't say anything in response. It was awkward. Why was he so weird? His friends were all so obnoxious, so how was he so quiet?! I got up and went into the kitchen. By now it was about five. I looked down the counter top and seen a bottle of liquor just waiting for me to drown in. In the back of my head I was dying to just have a little sip. The taste of it on lips would leave me satisfied for hours. In my heart I knew I didn't have the courage to do it. I kept telling myself over and over that something terrible would happen to me if I gave into my extreme cravings. I dug my fingernails into the wooden counter top and bit my lip until i tasted a little bit of blood. My breathing hitched, and I thought my heart was going to beat right out of my chest. If I did, Jacky would tell Ronnie. For some reason i couldn't place my finger on it, but I felt obligated to do it. I needed something, I haven't drank since yesterday, and the last time I had a fix felt like forever. The intentions were eating away at my brain leaving my body as an empty shell to be manipulated. Everything around me was still. A sense of courage shot through my body like a torpedo and I clentched the bottle in my palm. Seconds away from my lips, my eyes burst open and without any thinking I whipped open the back door and heaved the bottle as hard as I could. I watched it as it flew through the air and shattered on the cement. I grabbed my forehead and shut my eyes. "I'll be fine. You'll be fine Alexis. Baby steps, that's all it is."  

I slammed the door, and rested my elbows on the counter top. I let my hair down and grabbed a bottle of water from the fridge and chugged it down faster than I've ever drank anything before. It made me feel empty. Alcohol was all I knew for such a long time. I forced the emotion down like a hard pill to swallow and I went back to the living room almost forgetting about Jacky being there. I guess I didn't really care. When I got back to the living room I noticed the movie was paused. "What's wrong?" I asked. "Nothing." He said softly, but not looking up at me. He played with his fingers and the string on his hoodie awkwardly. "You paused the movie?" 

"I know."

"Why?"

"Because you left the room. I didn't want you to miss anything." He said softly in a sweet British accent and looked me in the eyes. I placed my hand on his. "You didn't have to do that" I laughed. "I've seen this movie hundreds of times." He smiled back. As soon as I felt and realized what was actually happening, I grabbed my hand back and looked to the floor, but I could still feel his icy blue eyes burning into the side of my face.