Chapter 2

(Y/N) was assigned to watch over Rachel for today even if she wanted to go to the Maze. (Y/N) liked Rachel and she even saw that Rachel seemed to be enjoying herself in the Vale.

"I don't see why she needs watching over," (Y/N) mumbled to herself. "She's clearly enjoying herself. She likes being a cook."

"(Y/N)!" Rachel called over to her interrupting her thoughts.

(Y/N) went inside the kitchen which was a small hut making (Y/N) wonder how she, Annie, and Rachel could fit inside. At least only two people can fit inside.

"What do you need?" (Y/N) asked Rachel who was stirring something in the pot. She had no idea what Rachel was cooking, but it smelled fantastic and it made her hungry. "Where's Annie?" She noticed the absence of the girl's precense.

"She just went out. She said that she won't be long."

(Y/N) nodded. "Is this for our lunch?" She pointed at the pot.

"Yeah. Since Annie was gone, she told me that you should see if what I'm doing is right."

"Well I'm not exactly one fit for the kitchen," (Y/N) laughed nervously. "When I was trying to be a cook since I had no job in mind yet, I think I almost messed up the kitchen." Rachel laughed at the story. "That's why it's a mystery why Annie would let me in here."

"It has been two years ago," Rachel said as she stopped stirring and just closed the pot.

"Yeah," (Y/N) said softly.

"Do you think we'll find a way out?" Rachel suddenly asked. "Please tell me what you really think, not how you're supposed to answer."

(Y/N) pursed her lips. Rachel was smart and she liked that about the girl. "I really think that we will be able to find a way out. Don't you worry about it."

Rachel didn't say anything. Perhaps she was pondering if that was (Y/N)'s real answer or the answer she was supposed to give the Valers to give them hope. But (Y/N) seemed really sincere in her reply which was why Rachel was getting more confused. Before she could say anything, Annie entered the hut.

"Rachel give (Y/N) here her lunch and something for the night."

Rachel didn't say anything and did what she was told to do. (Y/N) watched in pride as Rachel seemed to know her way around the kitchen even if it's just her first day on the job.

"Greenie's a fast learner," she said to Annie. "So what's this about my lunch and something for the night?"

"Harriet called me and said that she needs you in the Maze today and to stay there overnight again."

"Again?" Rachel had fear in her eyes for (Y/N) but (Y/N) comforted her that it'll be alright.

"Yeah. She said that she found something in her run today and since you're the only one crazy enough to spend the night, she wants to you go and check it out."

(Y/N) tried to hide it from Rachel, but she was actually ecstatic! She was glad that she was going back into the Maze today as well as staying there overnight.

-

Meanwhile in WICKED Headquarters, Teresa watched the screen showing Maze A with satisfaction on her face. She was really glad and proud of her partner, Thomas, who's showing progress that was to be expected and he was just there for two days. But the same couldn't be said for Aris.

"Thomas is doing well," Aris commented. Then he saw Thomas trip and fall when Newt threw the shovel for Thomas to use. "As well as he could," he added, trying to stifle a laugh.

"Rachel's not exactly showing the progress we expected," Teresa snapped at Aris. She got irritated when Aris was clearly mocking Thomas. That comment seemed to bring Aris back to his irritable mood.

"Ms. Paige asked me to go to her office earlier," Aris shared. "She talked about Rachel."

"How'd it go?"

"I thought she'd be disappointed, but she wasn't. I'm confused as poor Thomas here," he looked at Thomas at the screen, gathering fertilizer. "She told me that if things don't work out with Rachel, it isn't a problem. She told me not to worry and that the plan is still in action." Teresa just nodded. "Rachel has always been different from us, but I always choose to look past that because-"

"Because you're in love with her?" Teresa cut him off.

"No," Aris tried to stop himself from blushing. "It's because she's an Elite Candidate. We four were chosen because we were brilliant and that there was something special about us. We were curious and had this drive to find the cure."

"But that's not her. She never had a drive to find the Cure or had this curiosity that would just eat her alive. She's different, like you said."

"Still," Aris tried to defend Rachel, "she's an Elite Candidate. She must have been chosen by her for a reason."

Read

Love

Comment

Vote

Share

Follow
- Once_Upon_A_Glade (My Wattpad account)

❤️ Once_Upon_A_Glade