Chapter 21

(Y/N) was frozen with fear.

Right in front of her was a Griever. The first time she's ever encountered one. She had no idea what to do.

But she knew the only thing that she could do.

Run.

(Y/N) turned and ran as fast as she could, away from the Griever. But it was catching up to her. It had multiple legs and covered much more ground. But (Y/N) still tried to outrun it.

She had to.

She ran as fast and she could. All the adrenaline and the energy she has is being given to being able to escape the Griever and living. But as much as she tried to outrun the Griever, she couldn't. She was just human and humans get tired.

After a while, her legs ached, her feet hurt, and her entire body got heavy. She collapsed on the ground earning her a couple of bruises. The Griever was on top of her. She tried to move but she couldn't. Her body wouldn't let her.

She saw a syringe from one of the legs of the Griever. It swiftly injected the syringe in her arm. There was a small sting but it didn't compare to the ache she felt in her entire body.

In just a matter of seconds, she was unconscious.

She found herself dreaming.

But it wasn't a dream. They were her memories. The memories that she thought were buried deep down inside.

In her dream state, she was in a dark room. It was so dark that she couldn't even see her hands and her feet. But then there was a light. The light was her memories. She found herself reaching out to get it. But there was something inside her telling her not to do so. That it was better to be ignorant than have knowledge.

But there was a force inside her. Urging her to her remember.

The light was getting closer.

She saw that she didn't have a choice. Her memories were coming back no matter what she does.

If this was her fate, better accept it.

The light was right in front of her now. Raising her hand, she touched it and remembered everything.

The first memory was of her as a child. She couldn't have been older than seven at that age. She was in her room, sitting at the edge of her bed, letting her feet dangle. She has been staying in WICKED for three months and she hasn't been able to meet anyone her age.

Until now.

She was told that there was someone who was coming to meet her. They said that he was a boy. She felt nervous to meet him. She clutched the sheets on her bed as each minute passed. She kept on thinking how she'd act or what she'd say. But she wasn't able to practice those kinds of things since the only person she met for the past three months was a male doctor who kept on giving tests to her. The tests everyday were different and she never knew if she did well or not.

(Y/N) heard a knock on her door. She got off her bed and scrambled to the door. She opened it to see the same doctor she saw for the past three months but he had someone with him.

He was a young boy with light skin and innocent eyes. He was staring at her with curiosity. She watched as a smile broke into his face and extended his hand out to her.

"I'm Aris," he said. "What's your name?"

She shook his hand. "I'm (Y/N)."