Chapter 11

"How long do you expect her to be asleep?" Sonya asked (Y/N). She was still on bed rest and wasn't allowed to move until at least a day of rest. So as of now, (Y/N) was the one who gave Sonya her dinner.

"The last time we used the serum, we waited for three or four days."

Sonya nodded but her gaze was a blank one. She ate the food that (Y/N) would feed her but her mind was somewhere else. (Y/N) could tell that Sonya was worried and stressed more than she's ever been before. She was worried for the wellbeing of her best friend and so was (Y/N).

Other than Sonya and Harriet, (Y/N) was also thinking about the boy, Aris. She normally doesn't think about or worry about what other people think about her but the hate and mixed emotions in Aris' eyes were evident. She'd understand his hate if they'd known each other for a long time but they don't. Aris just got here in the Vale and he doesn't like her, there must be a good reason why.

Maybe we've known each other before, she thought. But his memories were erased just like the rest of us. If we did know each other before then that could mean-

(Y/N)'s thoughts were cut off when she heard Sonya coughing. (Y/N) hurried to get water for Sonya, who drank it like it was her last cup of water. 

"Are you okay?" (Y/N) asked when Sonya calmed down.

"I'm fine. There was just a tickle in my throat." Sonya assured (Y/N). "Nothing to worry about."

"If you say so," she sighed. (Y/N) saw that Sonya was done eating her food and was about to leave but her wrist was gripped by Sonya before she could stand.

"I'm sorry."

(Y/N) blinked. "For what?"

"It wasn't fair to give you all the responsibility earlier. It was stupid and look where that got us."

(Y/N) was a little shocked with the apology since she didn't expect it. She was really angry that she was suddenly given the responsibility to look after the Vale when it was most confusing of times around here, but all her anger had already subsided.

"It's okay," (Y/N) said. "I guess it shows that you and Harriet have a lot of faith in me but I think I'm far better out there in the Maze than in here."

Sonya smiled sadly. "You were always a free spirit. Nothing could ever hold you."

"Yeah." (Y/N) kissed Sonya's forehead. "Get some rest now. I'll check up on the both of you in the morning."

"Okay. Goodnight."

"Goodnight."

(Y/N) walked towards the door of the Croaker's Hut but before she left. She turned her head to the first cubicle where Aris was in. Even if he had his curtains surrounding him for privacy, (Y/N) knew that he was there since she heard him enter earlier.

"Goodnight Aris," she said.

She didn't expect a reply and she didn't get one.

-

(Y/N) couldn't find herself to be able to sleep that night. She was too occupied with her thoughts about her friends and the Vale. There was also the huge possibility that the escape from this place could've been found already. That was something that she forgot to talk about with Sonya, she just maid a mental note to talk to her about to tomorrow if she wanted to.

(Y/N) looked around and saw that all the girls were sound asleep. A smile formed on her face when she saw Rachel asleep. But it seemed like she didn't have a peaceful dream. She had this concentrated look on her face that made it look like she was having a bad dream. It made (Y/N) feel sorry for her.

Feeling an urge to stand up and walk, (Y/N) left her hammock to do so. She kept on walking until she reached a the East Maze Doors. She reached out her hand to feel the cold clump of rock that was trapping her and her friends for years. (Y/N) looked at her watch and saw that it was still hours before the doors were to open but even if they did, it wasn't like she was going to leave. Who would watch over the Vale? Without any of the leaders, there would be chaos and an uproar.

(Y/N) looked at the Doors and saw the vines. There were some that reached over to the top. (Y/N) suddenly had a tingling sensation on her hands and legs. She felt a surge of energy course through her body. It was the same feeling she'd have when she was about to run into the Maze.

Well, running isn't the same as climbing it.

This wasn't the first time she's done it. As Sonya has said earlier, (Y/N) was a free spirit. (Y/N) couldn't handle being trapped inside the Vale when she knows that there's an escape out there. That's all she wanted. Just a small taste of freedom then her day was complete and she could rest.

As (Y/N) got higher and higher, she's never felt more alive. She was convinced that she loved life threatening situations and had a huge fetish for them. She climbed and climbed and was determined to reach to the top.

Even if this wasn't the first time she's climbed the Maze walls, she has never reached the top and always stopped midway. It was because she was nervous on what she'd find when she was on the top. Other than a magnificent view of everything, would she be able to find the escape? But since she's already found a possible escape, she didn't care if she'd reach the top.

After a while, (Y/N) finally reached the top and lied down on the walls. She was tired and out of breath but she still couldn't feel like she could sleep. This feeling of being tired but energized was driving her mad. She couldn't understand her body right now.

When (Y/N) had regained her breath, she sat cross legged and saw that she had the perfect view of the Vale on her left and the Maze on her right. It was beautiful and it was about to get more beautiful. Right in front of (Y/N), she saw the sun about to rise.

"Beautiful," she said in awe.

(Y/N) stood up and took careful steps to try to get closer to the sun. In this height, she felt like she could reach it. But as she closer and closer, the image of the sun was changing. The sun didn't look as beautiful as it did earlier. In fact, it didn't even look genuine. She looked at the sky and she saw that they didn't look genuine up close just like they usually did down below. They looked pixelized.

Feeling curiouser and curiouser, (Y/N) reached out her hand.

Only to find that that was a mistake.

When (Y/N) reached out her hand, the tip of her finger touched the sky and she suddenly felt electricity overcome her entire body. (Y/N) felt her eyesight blurring and her body getting tipsy. She felt dizzy and took steps backward only to have one of her feet step on the edge.

And she slipped.

Read

Love

Comment

Vote

Share

Follow

❤️ Once_Upon_A_Glade