Chapter Three: Missing

I fall face first onto my bed that has not even been made up yet, feeling drained of all hope, energy and tears. I rolled over and stared blankly up at the ceiling.

Beth is missing.

My best, no, only friend. The sexy, witty, smart-mouthed blonde I had grown so fond of over the last couple of years. Somehow she always knew what was best for me, her advice, although mostly crass was helpful. Her honesty a breath of fresh air amidst all the fake in the world.

And now I can't find her.

I already went to the police office, they were totally useless, they opened a file but not before I had to threaten one of the officers that I'll accuse him of sexual harassment if he didn't. He scowled at me before grumbling something under his breath and retrieved an empty brown paper file from his desk.

I hadn't eaten a thing since I left this morning when Dante was cooking up a storm in my kitchen. He had put all the food items in Tupperware in the fridge and had left the kitchen cleaner than I did the previous day. He also left a note with his number which I put in one of the drawers, not wanting to deal with all that right away.

The moment I got to her apartment and figured she's not there I all but freaked out, I phoned Ray and asked if she wasn't by any chance at work. She wasn't.

My stomach was in knots and it felt like I was in a dream... More like a nightmare. Bile rose in my throat and I felt plain awful.

I had a shift at the club tonight and my boss doesn't take it well when people ask off from work. Begrudgingly I dragged my miserable self into the shower, a few tears sliding down my cheeks.

I wished that she was okay, I just wish that she would show up at my door and rant about how her phone got stolen and she had to buy a new one and we would laugh about how ridiculous I acted and we would watch a movie and everything would be fine.

I just wish she was safe and happy and... Alive.

I shook my head, these things don't happen in real life, you hear about it on the news and from other people but it never happens to you. This cannot be happening. Beth is innocent and pure and my best friend. She cannot be missing.

And its all my fault.

If I hadn't left her alone at the club to go screw Dante she'd still be here. What was I thinking? Leaving a woman alone in a bar full of predators.

Although she'd never have let me stay if I told her about the handsome stranger.

"Go!" she would have said, "you deserve this. Go fuck this sexy man's dick off, go make him beg for more. Do it for me, go change his life."

I would have laughed at her overconfidence in my sexual abilities and I would turn him down and not have left Beth's side and we would have become drunk before going home and passing out.

It's like Dante had put a spell on me, the moment I saw him at that club, looming over the creepy guy who spiked my drinks. Damn my horny hormones to the deepest pit in hell for forgetting about a friend, what does that make of me?

Suddenly a thought so scary crossed my mind that I actually shivered and goosebumps appeared from my head to my toes.

The creep from the bar... I was his target but I got away, he saw me on the dance floor... With Beth!

My heart was beating against my ribcage fast and loud. What if he went after Beth? How could I have just left her there knowing there were dangerous people in that club?

I'm a piece of shit human being.

When the police asked me if I remembered anything that could possibly explain what happened to Beth I hadn't thought of it. But now it made so much sense. The more I thought about it the more I became convinced,