Chapter Ten: A New Face

We entered a big room with a long dining table, faces that are both familiar and unfamiliar filled the chairs around the table.

The familiar faces that I did see was as follows, Dante and 2 other guards that I've seen around in this big house.

Once me and Hein had taken our seats a few silent moment passed before the double doors opened and in stepped mr. Dobrev in all his intimidating glory.

He stood at the very end of the table and sat graciously down in the plush seat.

"This meeting was meant to be held last night," he eyes me, "though there was a problem locating some of the parties that had to be present... So I had to cancel a meeting with a potential client in order to adhere to such trivial matters now."

My mouth open and closes as if I'm a fish on dry land, "mr. Dobrev I am so sorry, If I'd have known that I had to be here last night I would nev-" mr. Dobrev's hand raised and I took this as my cue to shut up. I sunk back into my seat.

"Never in my 42 years of running this joint - as the youth would call it - had anything or anyone remotely deorganised my business like this young lady here," he says, pointing to me.

I looked around, "m-me?" I ask dumbfounded.

Mr. Dobrev raised out of his chair and buttoned his suit, taking slow steps as he spoke, "she infiltrated one of my better guards, made him soft as a puppy. My only son and heir... Using MY men to taskforce missions not remotely connected to any tasks we are currently busy with. I had never seen him more unfocused as he was the past few weeks."

Well, when you put it like that...

"This meeting was called for a number of reasons. Firstly, to investigate the possibility that her assigned bodyguard may not be as strong minded as he was entering his mission of protecting my assets - now I'm strongly aware that the young lady had not missed a payment... Yet. My fear is that if and when she does, will Heinschofzen have the heart to do what has to be done if he is as emotionally involved as he had become?"

Hein stepped forward, "Mr. Dobrev, I would like to step down as the active service-man to the young woman in question, I also kindly request to be sent for mental re-evaluation or to further strengthen and prove me a worthy asset.

Mr. Dobrev turned to Hein, "very commendable of you, you have my approval. You leave first thing tomorrow."

My traitor eyes start to water. I can't believe he's doing this.

"Furthermore, she will be assigned a new service-man for the remainder of her debt collection,"

Dante stiffens in the corner of my eye, "it will be either one between Morrison or Vogel," the two respective guards nodded in understanding, both guards looked bigger and meaner than Hein, if that were at all possible. I gulp involuntarily.

Dante shifts in his seat.

"the last matter is this," Mr. Dobrev turned and mentioned at one of the guards who pressed a button on a small remote and the plasma screen on the wall in the corner of the room lit up. A video clip began playing, a big, muscular figure is looming over another, smaller figure... Me.

It's a videoclip of that day, when Dante took me on that mission with him, when I got assaulted and lost the baby. As the looming figure in the video start kicking the past version of myself my eyes close and I hear a few intakes of breath around the room.

I have to control my breathing or else I'd be hyperventilating right now. My body shakes as the chills creep up my spine. The feeling of warm blood trickling down my arm is fresh in my memory, and now that memory has been hand-plucked out of the file cabinet of my subconscious and is now playing over and over in my mind like it did the first few days. I keep willing myself to forget it and somehow it worked, until now.