Devil's Rose

Red as a rose newly bloomed. That was how I felt.

With each day after that, there was one lost from my heart. The rose bush surrounding my soul shed to one. The real rose that shined in the dark and dimmed in the light. The shadow my soul carried under the disguise. That was the real me.

Don't see it yet! I was broken this whole time. That bloody rose you saw was a lie. I hid it from all of you, and no one noticed. No one asked who was behind that smile. A fake smile no one saw consuming me. This was all because of you!

It's been months now since the first rose bloomed. It was true happiness that day, and now, it's hell to me. I enjoyed spending the days with a real smile without worries. Without regrets. It was the heaven I craved. That angel showed me that a devil can change.

The hot, summer days I spent with you kept me away from the hell I was escaping, yet when you knew the truth, you were scarred by the truth. You saw me as a sinner, a devil in human form. Then, the first rose fell.

How did I figure that out, you may ask? The necklace around your neck. I knew the truth when I saw that around you.

There wasn't much time left for me here. I've been looking for someone this whole time, yet you can't accept me for who I was. I thought times have changed, and people would accept me by who I was.

You were a child of God. Of course you wouldn't accept a devil like me.

Everyday I saw you move farther away from me. You thought I didn't notice that either. I'm not stupid. The more roses that fell the bloodier they got. The smiles you see are becoming lies. Just like my soul. I saw it all! I did my best to show I changed, especially how much love I felt for you. That wasn't good enough.

    Finally, the last bloody rose fell. How soulless have I become? Enough to become a true devil. One who craved to kill you, to see the blood spill from out of those lips I kissed many times before. I want you dead, yet I need you alive.

Why can't I stop crying! This was all your fault! I love you so much. I really did, but that word is pointless to me now. I am a devil's rose. Prickly to my angel. Soulless. Broken. That's for the best. I'm dead to you now, and soon, I'll be dead to everyone else.