Valley of Hearts

Sitting under the golden ray of light, enjoying the nice cool breeze and the sweet, sweet scent of chocolate, the girls sit patiently, waiting for the boys to return. Their hair shined in sparkling waves as they laughed, telling stories about their numerous adventures and embarrassing moments that span far and wide. The grass dance among the white daisies blooming around the blue plaid blanket; a wicker basket sat rigidly on the quilt, holding various fruits. Quaking from the breeze, the willow tree sway beside the girls where the valley's span of vibrantly colored grass and multicolored flowers reaches beyond what the eye can see. Such a beautiful day under the sun, but the girls reminisce the days they spent with their significant other.

A year ago, the first girl, laughing with the boy of her dreams, believed that her worries were nevermore. His smile, his scent, she expected to have him all for herself as the two love birds shared a meal under the same golden sunshine at the bottom of the valley. Hours spent on that field, playing games, skimming the palms of their feet onto the creek nearby, will always be on her mind. A magical day spent with her soulmate to only learn that he was far from kind.

That same day, the second girl, carrying her wicker basket, walked down the path leading to the willow tree atop of the hill, danced in between the cover of the trees. She waited for her love to arrive at a moment's notice, but the wind blew away one of her favorite handkerchiefs. When she went after her runaway cloth, she did not notice that he arrived. He searched and searched for his missing blue-eyed princess, but to no avail, he returned home in sadness and rage. She came back thinking that he never came, walking home the same path he trod, sad and forever heartbroken.

For the last girl, sitting in between the other two girls by the willow tree, she had no room for love. She spent her day roaming the woods on this very day last year. She walked down the same path, avoiding the girl as she waited for her companion and climbed the willow tree, her rags clinging to the tree. Watching the other couple playing by the creek, she wished to have someone like that in her life, someone who'd love her, accept her, and care for her.

Sitting on the blanket, the three girls sighed, leaned back, and watched the clouds roll by. Serene laid itself on them, protecting their broken hearts on Valentine's day. Holding one another's hand, the girls will never let go of the bond created between their heart and soul, for their friendship is preeminent than any suitor could compare.