four | last dance of the night

6:52 PM

6:52 PM. JULY 30th, 2018

────────

WE had found an old radio near our most recent camp out location. It was getting a little dark, but it didn't stop Rosie, Johnny, and I from dancing while The Unnamed Boy sat sulking against a brick wall. Baila Esta Cumbia by Selena played through the scratchy speakers as I taught my friends how to dance semi-decently. This time, Rosie couldn't sing, though. She didn't know Spanish at all, so everyone had to deal with my horrible singing. We all laughed, though, as if nothing bad had ever happened in our lives. Even The Unnamed Boy gave a small chuckle as we acted like little kids.

"Come on, mystery boy." I offered my hand to him, hoping he would take it. "Have some fun with the rest of us. It's not gonna hurt. I don't bite."

"Ugh, fine, Ellie but only for a few minutes." Taking my hand, he stood up with a groan, following me back to the ragtag group nearby. Now, a different song played - one I didn't recognize - but it was still a good dancing song. Looking over, I saw Rosie and Johnny doing a horrible tango. I guess I'd been staring at them... well, her really.

"Ellie." I heard my name, but it sounded like a murmur. "Ellie!" The Unnamed Boy had been yelling my name. For a moment, the others paused their dancing, but they quickly resumed as though nothing had happened.

"Sorry. Yeah." Shaking my head, I tried to form a cohesive sentence, but all that was playing in my head was Rosie's face smiling and laughing.

"Alright, let's begin dance cla-"

"Oh, cut the bullshit, Eleanor. I see the way you look at her." I looked at him sharply, confusion written all over my face, "Rosie? Why don't you just tell her? This isn't school, El. It's just the four of us if that's what you're worried about. I'm not gonna judge, and Johnny sure as hell isn't."

"Pshh, what?" Shaking my head, I proceeded to punch him in the chest. He glared at me through a wince. I leaned in close to his face and hissed, "I swear, if you say anything more about that, I will punch you where it really hurts. Got me?"

The vigorous nod of his head told me that he would gladly keep that promise. I knew how I was going to tell Rosie about those... confusing feelings. If The Unnamed Boy could just zip his mouth about it, then I was sure I would feel less nervous about the whole thing. I just... I thought for once, everything was going to turn out alright.