six | witness rejection program

8:35 PM

8:35 PM. AUGUST 1st, 2018

────────

THE clock marked the 24th hour since Rosalia Lee had been shot in a nearby park. Jessica Jones watched the news broadcast in horror as she placed a hand on her stomach, pausing every now and then to look over at a sleeping Luke Cage.

"I'd never let that shit happen to you little guy... or girl," she said soothingly, looking down at her still flat stomach, "Never."

Striding over to a paint-chipped cabinet, the woman grabbed a glass and proceeded to fill it with cold water. As the icy liquid slipped down her throat, her gaze moved back to the small screen, now displaying the suspect in question.

"Douche bag," Jess muttered under her breath. The thought of someone killing a kid like that made her stomach churn. If she could choke whoever this guy was out, she would without question.

"Baby, why are you still up?" a tired Luke asked from their bedroom doorway. Her only response was a quick nod to the television. He shook his head in disappointment. "Why the hell would someone do that?"

"A piece of shit, that's who," the raven-haired woman retorted aggressively, slamming her empty glass on the counter top. "I swear to God, Luke, if I see that garbage piece of a human in the street-"

"You're not gonna kill him, Jessica."

"You don't know that."

Chuckling playfully, Luke took a few steps over to her. "Uh huh... you're mad 'cause it's a kid on that screen there. Face it, Jessica Jones, you're getting all mama bear."

"I am not."

"You most definitely are."

"I swear to God-"

Multiple bellicose knocks sounded from the nearby door. A moment later, there were a few more, followed by some muffled bickering.

"I'll get it." Jessica stated as she moved past Luke, arriving at the door. A disheartened sigh escaped her mouth as her face met Trish Walker's. "Trish-" Her brown eyes moved to a strange, tear-streaked face. "Who the hell is this?" Jess asked harshly.

"Eleanor Camacho, lady," the tiny girl retorted. "Are you supposed to be Jessica Jones? 'Cause you sure as hell don't seem like it."

A hearty laugh by none other than by Luke Cage rang through the room, but it was immediately shot down with a dirty glare from Jessica.

"Sorry, babe. Do your thing."

"Alright, Eleanor," the P.I. began, "since you seem so assertive, why don't you tell me why the fuck you're at my apartment at ten at night when I could be sleeping right now?"

Attempting to diffuse the tense situation at hand, Trish finally spoke up. "Alright! Both of you need to calm down immediately. Jess, I think you're gonna want to take Ms. Camacho's case."

"What is it then? I thought I told you to wait until I got a case."

"Jess! She was at the murder of Rosalia Lee last night."