fourteen | i only genuflect to kurt cobain

9:32 AM

9:32 AM. AUGUST 13th, 2018

────────

IT was not too long until the three woman had finally reached their destination: Church of the Sacred Heart of Jesus. Jessica rolled her eyes at the title, receiving dirty looks from both Emily and Ellie. When she was younger, Jessica and her family would go to church on two occasions - Christmas and Easter. "Chreaster Christians" as her late mother, Alisa would say.

Jessica did not exactly hate going there, but she did not enjoy it either. If she couldn't listen to Nirvana in there, then it got a harsh rating of 0 out of 10 and if her teenself were to bring in some clunky headphones blasting "Smells Like Teen Spirit," she better think again. Before Jessica's family died in that fatal car accident, the idea of Jesus and God became a fairytale to her. Either God existed and had abandoned her, or the Devil had corrupted any possible God. Seeing the people you love the most drenched in blood with their heads split open does not put someone in the praying mood.

Emily's hand hovered over the gun holstered on her hip as she slowly pushed past the door. Ellie and Jessica followed the agent into what seemed to be the end of the ongoing mass. The three just sat in the back, not wanting to receive any unwanted attention. An unfamiliar hymn was being played by the church choir, but Jessica's focus was caught on something else, or more better put, someone else.

Lightly smacking Ellie's arm with the back of her hand, Jessica jutted her head over to the man she was previously looking at, "Ellie, three pews ahead to our left. That him?" Noticing the painted on, white cross on his dirty, black jacket, Ellie gulped nervously, nodding her head up and down in response to Jessica's question. Aware of Ellie's raising anxiety about the situation, Emily gently rubbed her adopted daughter's back.

A few minutes passed by and the mass session had finally ended. The happy church goers began to exit the church, congregating outside. The priest and choir also exited the main room through the side doors. The three waited a little while until only a few people including the Purifier were left sitting down on the dark, wooden pews.

Propping her leather covered arm on the back of the pew, Jessica turned her head towards Emily, "Hey, use your S.H.I.E.L.D shit to get these people out of here."

Emily shook her head, snickering, "Jessica, it doesn't work like that."

Ellie and Jess simultaneously scrunched their faces in response to the agent. "But it's 'worked like that' for the past week?", Jessica questioned "Use. Your. S.H.I.E.L.D shit."

Rolling her chocolate eyes, Emily pushed past the two woman, "Only for you, Jones. Only for you." She proceeded to ask the few elderly people who were left at the church to leave as there was "S.H.I.E.L.D business" taking place. Although confused, the civilians left the area, leaving only the Purifier, Jessica, Emily, and Ellie.

All of the three girls' gaze moved towards the man who, although seemed quite harmless on his phone with a very cracked screen, was a demented person who had murdered an innocent young girl. As much as she would enjoy punching this monster repeatedly, Ellie kept her distance, scared and intimidated.

Emily was the first to encounter him, "Phillip Sigill.", she addressed him, then holding her S.H.I.E.L.D credentials up, "You're on detention on suspicion for the murder of Rosalia Lee."

"Who the fuck is that?", he scoffed, receiving a nasty look from Ellie which he noticed, "Oh, wait. I remember you." As he began to stand up, without hesitation, Emily swiftly pulls his arm so that he turns around so that his back faces her. But before she could handcuff him, Phillip elbowed her in the stomach getting a grunt from the woman. Out of pure adrenaline, Jessica ran from the side, tackling the man to the ground.

Wrestling for dominance, Jessica ended up gaining control in the fight pinning both of his wrists to the cold, smooth ground, her knee deep in his chest, "Alright, motherfucker, I would just comply with good cop over there or you're gonna get a-" Before she could complete her threat, Phillip head butted Jessica, causing her roll over in slight pain as her hand quickly moved to her forehead.

Pushing himself off of the ground, he rapidly pulled out a gun, immediately shooting Emily in the knee making her fall to the ground in agony. Distracted by the shooting, Ellie and Jess had not even realized that he had ran out of the church.

"Shit!", Emily yelled out of pain as she applied pressure to her bloody wound that seeped through her black pants, "Jones! He's getting away! Get him!"

In a state of panic, Jessica looked back and forth at the doors towards the back of the church and at Emily. "Ellie, stay with your mom and call the police.", she said beginning to run towards the exit.

"No!", Eleanor cried out, "Emily can handle herself. I mean, no offense" she began looking down at the woman, "but you can't. Jessica, please, I'm begging you. I deserve to get this guy more than anyone right now. Anyways, he just took down you and a S.H.I.E.L.D agent." Stepping towards Jessica, she placed her hands on her hips, "Face it, that baby is taking your strength up, so we're gonna need all the help we can get."

Huffing, Jessica dropped her head to the ground, then brought it back up, smirking, "Alright, kid. Who's your team then?"

"Probably in an alley eating some granola bars."