Chapter 16: Troubled ♡

♡♡ Riley Everett's POV ♡♡

I've finally been ungrounded and it feels amazing. Yesterday was my last day and here I am today, hanging out with Alex.

The day after we went over to his house, the next day, I was able to go to Garrett's house because my mom went out the whole night and I was so thankful for that or else my butt would've been whooped. Jenna thankfully had my back.

Now, Alex and I are hanging out at a cafe, eating our overpriced sandwiches and drinking our lattes. Even though it's very overpriced, it still tastes good and that's really all that matters.

"You know those lame quizzes online?" Alex brings up. I nod my head. "We should do a few of those."

"Random," I say, "but why not? Those are always interesting."

Alex takes out his phone, typing in a bunch of things. He brings it closer to my eyesight. "Let's see..." He scrolls through a few before landing on What's Your Celebrity Zodiac Match-Up on Buzzfeed Quizzes.

We click on it and take it.

An hour later and many quizzes, we leave the cafe and walk back home.

"Damn, I could take those things for forever."

"A waste of time, not going to lie," I say. He nods his head.

"We have no life if this is what we did for the last 2 hours."

I snicker. "Wanna come inside?" I ask him.

He wiggles his eyebrows. "Of course, don't even have to ask."

I roll my eyes. "Shut up Alex." I unlock the front door. "I'm home! Alex is here too!" I yell, dropping my keys on the table, taking off my shoes. I walk to the living room, Alex following me, as I stop in my tracks, seeing him in the living room.

Him. My father, who left us years ago, sitting on our sofa with my mom next to him. Mom never told us why he left. She was always quiet on the 'dad' topic. So this surprised me why he was here.

"W-what's going on here? Why is he here?" I ask stiffly.

"Riley..." Mom says softly.

The front door opens, Jenna's laughter heard. She enters the room along with Josh behind her.

Her breath catches, as she stares at our father. "Why are you here?"

Josh whispers something in her ear as she relaxes a little, an emotionless expression on her face.

Alex gives me a small smile, "Work it out." He tells me softly, knowing it's something serious before leaving the house with Josh. Josh knows what happened but Alex doesn't.

"Why.. what's going on?"

Dad lets out a sigh, "I came here to see you guys and explain..." He says quietly.

"And you couldn't have done that, oh I don't know, 11 years ago? Why now?" Jenna exclaims, her voice cracking slightly.

"I know.. I know I haven't been the dad you guys wanted. I've been a shitty father for leaving you guys and your mother.. But I want to explain..."

"Why? Why did you leave?" Jenna questions.

Jenna was closer to him than I was when we were younger. I was more of a mommy's kind of girl. She spends a lot of times with him. I did spend time with him but not as much as Jenna did.

"Girls, please sit down." Mom said softly.

I sit down and wait for him to start speaking.

"I.. this is hard." He mutters. "Depression took over me and, I, uh, I didn't know how to cope with it so I turned to drinking and I became addicted."

My eyes slightly widened at the news.

"I went into therapy after a couple years and I still go there from time to time. I couldn't handle hurting you guys physically or emotionally. I did a cowardly move and I left. After a few years, I eventually told your mom and I told your mom not to tell you, girls. I.. uh, I wanted to get better and tell you girls myself."

"It was hard for the longest time. I couldn't believe I let alcohol take over me. I knew it was then I had to leave, I couldn't harm you guys, I wouldn't know how to live with myself..." He choked out. "I didn't want you girls to see me like this," He said, looking at Jenna, mom, and I. "I had to do what I thought was best for me," Dad said softly.

"Dad..." Jenna croaked out, her eyes glistening with tears.

"I'm really sorry, Jenna, Riley, Alicia. I know I should've told you before but.. I couldn't bring myself until I got stopped being an... idiot and learning to cope with it a different way."

"I'm sorry it took a very time." He said, looking down remorseful.

My dad who I always thought was a happy, always smiling, person, was now looking the opposite and it hurt.

"Girls, I want you to know I love you and I always thought about you guys every day and it hurt I couldn't see you guys. It hurt, a lot, to be away from your loved ones, it hurt a lot."

"I.. I'm so sorry," Jenna croaked out, "I hated the fact you left and never explained yourself and mom wouldn't tell us and.. I.. it, I'm sorry dad, it makes sense now."

Dad got up and sat next to Jenna pulling her in for a hug, "Sweetie, you didn't know, you have nothing to be sorry for," He said, his eyes also filled with tears.

It made sense now and I too hated myself for jumping to conclusion and making assumptions about what had happened.

He pulled away and sat next to me, "Riley..."

"I.. I.." He pulled me into a hug and I wrapped my arms around him.

"I.. it's going to be hard to get used to this again..." Jenna muttered softly.

Mom clears her throat, "Where are you staying right now, Dan?" Mom asks.

"I, uh, rented out an apartment close by actually. Just very recently." He answers. Mom nods her head. "I want to see you guys more, if...if that's possible."

Mom claps her hands, "How about we talk about this through dinner?"

Everyone nods their head.

Family is important and it made me realize life is too short to hold grudges against people who've been in your life for so long because of a mistake or a misunderstanding and they might not be here the next day.

♡♡

Author's Note:

not proud how this chapter was written... i'll change it soon

I love you all, see you soon.

xoxo - Mayyy