[4] SOFT

➖

"Are all Americans this pathetic or is it just you?"

Aurora peeled herself off of the packed dirt that made up the underground training room and got into position, facing Demetri with a fierce look of determination on her face, contrasting largely with his unimpressed and bored expression. The harsh fluorescent lights shined above them, the only modern update the room had received in centuries.

"Again," she growled at the smug vampire standing across her.

It had been four days since she awoke in that strange tower and four days full of only more confusion. She still had no clue of her human past, she hated killing humans, but craved their blood ravenously, and she was getting beat to a bloody pulp by almost every guard member they pitted against her.

As a new member of the Volturi and vampire world, Aurora was expected to learn how to fight as well as the rest of the elite guard. Currently it was Demetri's turn again, the arrogant bastard who didn't care that she had no fighting experience whatsoever and nearly ripped her head off on her first day of training.

Alec had been pissed, he was still strangely overprotective of her for reasons he refused to explain. She had asked if they were in a relationship and he laughed in her face, before promptly disappearing for a few hours. It was in that time she was expected to begin training, and sequentially had her head almost ripped off. After Alec found out and argued with Demetri, Aurora never trained without Alec present.

He always watched, never stepped in to teach her himself. She thought it was because a prince like him would never get his hands dirty, but she's watched him train and he always beat Afton or Santiago or whoever he sparred with. It was like Alec was afraid to hurt her, to touch her or something. But she always felt his eyes on her.

It had been half an hour since they began training. She had fallen to the dirt more times than she could count. Sometimes they had an audience outside of Alec; Felix, Chelsea, and Heidi had all made an appearance at some point to witness how terrible Aurora was at fighting. It was a little mortifying since her gift was so powerful, yet her physical fighting skills were so bad. She wasn't supposed to use her gift during training.

Aurora took a deep breath as she crouched, preparing to go again. She glanced at the side, behind the half wall where Alec was reading some thick book. He met her stare and she looked away. The Russian tracker opposite of her was beyond amused at the interaction and the determination of the newborn.

Aurora ran toward Demetri, just as he shot toward her as well, but instead of colliding with him as she usually did, she slid to the ground like she was trying to hit the home plate of a baseball field. She managed to grab one of Demetri's ankles in his surprise at her unexpected move. She didn't hesitate to yank him down to the dirt beside her. She tried to pull him into a chokehold, but he was quick and snaked around her. They exchanged a few punches and kicks, rolling in the dirt like two lions fighting over pride. He punched her, hard, jerking her head sharply to the right, but she didn't even think as she kneed him between the legs, the spot that not even the change would affect its ubiquitous weakness of men.