[12] PACT

AURORA FOUND THAT the woods offered her the reprieve she needed

AURORA FOUND THAT the woods offered her the reprieve she needed. The privacy in which she was so accustomed to in Volterra was granted to her in the form of endless acres of pure nature instead of cold, dimly lit castle walls.

She was feeling quite torn, given the situation. These people really loved her—well, the girl she used to be. It didn't take her long to feel guilty about what she was doing. Was it really necessary to make them believe she had returned to them? Why couldn't she have been upfront on why she had come? She found herself making a real effort to fit in with the family. And it was too easy. She knew it was wrong. It would only make things harder when she had to leave.

However, she had a duty to fulfill. She couldn't get distracted now. Doubt was not tolerated, she could hear Jane reprimand her. She had to finish her investigation and gather the evidence, whether it would deem the Cullens guilty or not. The Volturi had no room for leniency, supposedly. Whatever they were up to in Seattle, it had to be a lot bigger than a group of reckless newborns. Unless they were losing their touch.

She approached the treaty line, searching out for the creatures she had been told of.

The stench was the first sign. The river between the two territories dampened it slightly. She knew they could smell her too; it wouldn't be long until one of them came to check her out. She looked across the stretch of trees again. There. The giant wolf was well hidden behind thick foliage and moss that if she had been less of a vampire, she would've missed it completely. The russet fur blended in with the bark and soil while bright jade leaves shielded the rest of the wolf's mass.

She smiled in it's direction, letting the werewolf know it's cover had been blown. It was alone.

"Don't be shy now," Aurora crooned, her voice as soft as a feather, as she locked eyes with the giant werewolf. "It's just lil' ol' me—Rory." She mocked the nickname. "Would it be rude to ask to play fetch?"

The russet-colored wolf growled at her, taking a warning step in her direction.

She raised her brow, underwhelmed by the werewolf's attempt to intimidate her. She hadn't meant to bait the wolf, but the second it tried to attack her, it would seal the death sentence of the entire pack and the Cullens. That wouldn't do. "I'm with the Cullens, so technically I'm under the protection of the Treaty, right? The only native treaty that white people haven't gone back on. I'm not going to hurt anyone."

It glanced behind itself. She wondered if the wolf was waiting for others to come.

"Oh come on," she attempted to assuage the werewolf's anger, "You should shift so we can talk," she 'suggested'.