[5] LESSONS

note: 2/14/20 — edits made to first two paragraphs to clarify rory has been a vampire for over half a month

000

If there was one thing Aurora despised about being Immortal, besides the fact she had to kill people to live, was all the damn lessons she had to take. Like, she had already graduated high school, she didn't need to be sitting in a desk any longer. Well, not that she sat in a desk anyways, instead her days were spent on a velvet couch as she revolved through a multitude of tutors everyday, educating her on perfecting her etiquette and manners, world languages, warfare and strategies, world history, the vampire version as well, technology, etc. Her nights were spent refining her gift, mental exercises, challenges, pushing her to fine-tune her Control, ironic when she couldn't control her thirst.

She may not need to sleep anymore and hadn't in the near month since she woke up with nothing but her name and a thirst for blood. How it had only been more than half a month since she opened her crimson eyes, she couldn't fathom when it felt like half a year from all the lessons and endless nights. Sure time must seem to double when one didn't need sleep. She never had time to relax though, between the almost constant need to satisfy her thirst and the Volturi's form of Vampire Academy.

It appeared although vampires were supposedly flawless and perfect to humans, the Volturi expected more from their guards. The Volturi coven were the elite vampire leaders of the world for a reason. And so even if she was the progeny of one of the highest members of the Guard, she was required to endure through the lessons.

"So, you really don't remember anything about your human life?" Heidi asked as she braided Aurora's hair into a complicated plait.

They were supposed to be studying languages, but both had quickly grown bored of Gaelic and found themselves having a bit of quasi-girl time in the library. Besides, Heidi thought Aurora deserved a break. She didn't understand why their masters insisted the newborn learn a new language every day since the day she awoke.  

The Hungarian vampire had taken quite the liking to Alec's pet, even if both insisted she was merely his responsibility as her creator. Heidi didn't like how possessive he was over her, she could tell now Aurora would be his undoing. Girls like Aurora eventually realized how tantalizing freedom was and left destruction trailing behind them.

"Not anything useful," the newborn rolled her eyes. "Just...bits and pieces, I can't piece together. I don't remember why I came to Italy, or where I lived, but I know I liked to paint and I liked to read and—and..."

She stopped abruptly, suddenly overwhelmed with the mess that was her mind. Usually she kept it locked tight, but sometimes she couldn't stop herself from trying to wrench it all open. She cleared her throat, Heidi giving her a moment to recollect herself, Aurora shrugged. "Really, all I know about myself is what Alec has deemed necessary to share."

"Perhaps it's for your own good then." She tied off the younger girl's long, thick braid with a ribbon. Heidi imagined the newborn would have an easier time cleaning up after her next meal with her mane out of her face.

Aurora swung her legs off the settee, and turned her face towards Heidi. "Mine? Or his?" she asked doubtfully. She discovered the depths of his darkness just a few days ago—or just scratched upon the surface. She wasn't sure yet. She thought Alec was the one thing she was sure of in everything she wasn't.

Heidi considered her words for a moment. "All I know is that Alec is not the type of man to change just any human." She met the girl's wide eyed stare with a soft smile. "In fact, I'm certain you're the only one he's ever turned."