[10] PURPOSE

"Gathering evidence is of utmost importance

"Gathering evidence is of utmost importance."

Aurora was preparing for her first official mission. Any day now, their masters would call on her and unleash her onto the world. There were countless suspected vampire crimes—most were dirty work, but the Seattle murders and abductions were quickly gaining attention. And the Volturi's attention was never a good thing.

In the enormous library that took up three floors, two of which were underground, she and Alec sat a table tucked in a corner between the shelves. Dim lanterns were the only source of light. They sat so close together their chairs were nearly a bench as they went over the Volturi's personal records.

Although their relationship—or affair, really since Alec Volturi could no way be could called something asinine as someone's boyfriend—had been uncovered, Alec and Aurora continued their usual act in the company of their coven, especially with prying eyes and open ears following their every interaction closer than ever. Alec was not some chivalrous prince to kiss and hold her in the moonlight.

But they were alone and it had been days since they had visited their hideout. She pressed her lips to the tiny slice of skin the high collar of his black suit didn't cover where a tiny silver crescent peeked through when she had bit him. It was remarkably the only bite he had ever received from another vampire in spite of all the battles and fights he had been in, with his ability no one had ever managed to touch him. It brought her some twisted satisfaction his ivory skin was marked by her alone.

He shot her a disapproving look. "This is serious, Aurora."

"Oh, come on, Alec, don't be so cranky," she teased, sliding her hand up his thigh.

She was feeling increasingly restless and she needed a reprieve. She always felt like someone was watching her, waiting for a moment she slipped up. She had an incessant need to prove herself to her coven despite all the instances she had already that she was not just some privileged newborn being pampered and primed.

Alec's mouth tightened in a rigid line. His dark red eyes pierced hers. "You want to go out on an official mission so badly, yet evade the logistics of our work. Why should we let you go instead of guards who endure the training and have the experience? We are the Volturi. We do not hesitate and we do not make mistakes." And if she was not careful, if she faltered, she could die. He would not lose her. Even if Aurora was adamant she was ready, Alec wasn't. She already had a close call once.

Aurora had heard that rhetoric countless times from her Masters, Demetri, Jane, etc. Somehow it hurt the most coming from Alec. "Don't scold me like I'm a child," she gritted her teeth. "I am fully capable of going on a mission. I am a mind controller. I am immortal. I do not need your permission to let me go."