Chapter 4

I nearly locked myself in my room for the next three and a half days. Which, essentially, didn’t give me a ton of time to learn the spell.

People kept coming in to check on me. It seemed like just when I started to make some progress, there would be a knock on the door, and I’d receive an hour long visit from someone, asking me what I was doing, how I felt, etc. I just said I was practicing magic, which was true, in a sense. It was believable too. I’d neglected my lessons for a few months while I fought alongside Thor for the Peace. I was really behind in my lessons.

Just this morning a maid knocked on my door to tell me she had been sent to sit with me and keep me company! It was annoying, but it also put into perspective how much my friends were worried for me. I dismissed the maid, before making my way down to breakfast to see my friends and ease their minds. I had been having meals sent to my chambers so I could spend more time mastering this spell.

This was one of the more complicated spells and required a lot of practice. And the pressure was on. I didn’t have weeks to practice this spell. If I knew Loki, he was probably thinking of a plan to escape. Loki had spent enough time locked up to figure something out. It was only a matter of time before he came up with something.

There was also the issue of our relationship. I didn’t want to wait any longer to talk about this with Loki. I had waited long enough. I had to do this now, or I would lose my backbone so generously lent to me by Thor.

As I sat down at the breakfast table after two days of being a no show, I could see relief on my friend’s features. They were clearly glad to see me out and about again. I buttered some bread in silence and grabbed some fruit to munch on.

“Are you doing better, Noelle?” Volstag asked me. I chewed a strawberry before answering.

“I was never ill.” I stated, glancing around at all of them. “I was practicing, as I told you. I’ve been away from my lessons for months now. I figured it was time to pick it up again.”

“But a break is necessary, of course.” Fandral put in. I nodded.

“But I did not need visitors every hour. Nor did I need a maid to be sent to keep me company.” Sif opened her mouth to add her concerns in, but I put a hand up to stop her. “I know.” I smiled politely, glad they cared. But I was being crowded. And I didn’t want them to know I was going to speak with Loki. They would never leave me alone if they knew. “You’re worried. And I am grateful. But please, I’m not going to do anything crazy. I just want a little alone time to catch up and practice my magic again. It clears my mind.” It surprised me how easily I'd lied to them. It seemed like I would do anything for Loki.

They all nodded, but I could still see apprehension in their eyes. So I changed the subject. “Where’s Thor this morning?”

“Off to find some doppelganger, apparently.” Fandral answered, leaning in. We all leaned in closer to hear. This must be top secret. “Three nights ago, Thor was reported as going into the library. But at the time, Thor was meeting with the King. He only found out when he saw himself fleeing the library, and running down a hall!”

My eyes widened. Uh oh…Thor saw me…as him…This was not good. “Well, I hope they catch this…person. Whoever they are.” I shoved more bread in my mouth.

“Yes, this could be very dangerous.” Sif put in, concerned. “And why would anyone impersonate Thor going into the library? We all know Thor doesn’t go in there.”

“But Loki did.” Volstag whispered. Anyone who knew about Loki was told to keep it quiet. His name wasn’t mentioned much anymore, which made me sad. It was like Odin was trying to erase the fact that Loki lived here once, as our friend and ally. That he wasn't considered to be his son, a crowned prince of Asgard, anymore