VII

Backstory
December 24, 2018
2645 words

"I still love her."
- k.nj

For a moment, everything was white up until he heard a child's laugh with jingling bells

For a moment, everything was white up until he heard a child's laugh with jingling bells. Like eyes opening, things started to appear little by little.

Right in front of him was a meadow. The prettiest it can be. The sun was ready to set having the clouds above colored in oranges, light pinks and yellows. The breeze was hitting his skin just right- warm and welcoming. Some petals of each flower blew the same direction as the wind, fluttering into the sky forming delicate circles that finally surrounded around...Namjoon.

Namjoon was tiny...he was a little boy again just like 9 years ago. His smile was innocent. Eyes twinkling. Cheeks rosy. Hands delicate. Short Hair flowing. He blended in well with the meadow-belonged to it.

And Taehyung realizes he's along side the boy in his human form, watching over him with a fond smile as he reaches out to a monarch butterfly with sparkling gold dust lingering around it. The moment was a tranquil one, things were perfect that way.

Though the most wonderful things always have to come to a bitter end.

Taehyung finds himself averting eyes from Namjoon towards the deep forest that led to who knows where. It darkens, the trees would start wilting and loose it's color and he doesn't know why. It leaves a bad taste in his mouth and a stomach turning feeling when he sees the way the forest is consumed with heavy black fog.

His nerves spike when he sees that Namjoon was trotting close to the ominous forest, chasing the butterfly. His heart drops as the butterfly's wings rotten, it's healthy color shifting to the darkest of purples and the sparkling gold dust that it leaves behind turned into smoke.

Taehyung gets up quickly and yells, 'Namjoon don't go in there!' But the boy doesn't listen.

When he tries to reach forward an invisible wall stops him from going any further to the little boy. He does everything he can to break through- kick, punch, charge at, but nothing works. Then, he realizes, he's too late. Namjoon was consumed by the darkness.

He sees with his own eyes the way his body starts shifting and rising from the ground. He turns to an older version of himself as black ink patches up his skin and fog lingers inside him. Like a rag doll Namjoon's head rolls back and turns to the side, looking at Taehyung with the most sinister grin he's ever pulled.

Taehyung screams.

Once it fully consumed him, Taehyung feels his own vision darken as well and before he knew it he's in the dining area. He has his elegant robes on standing near the king who's crouched down in front of Namjoon's nine year old self with two guards on the side.

"-your old man was ambushed by twenty men however, but was that enough to finish me?" The king smirks, expecting an answer that would pleas his ears.