2 • I Wish I Asked

" I'M QUITTING COLLEGE

" I'M QUITTING COLLEGE. " Liberty Carter stated.

Utter determination is clear to hear in the way she said it. She straightens her position in her seat, not touching anything on her plate of spaghetti in front of her anymore, her vision now, focus on her mother's back who is washing few plates at the sink, she knows, the woman would say the things she doesn't want to hear and she is ready for it.

At the sudden confession, Lucy turns away from the sink and looks at her daughter curiously, the mood in the room rapidly changes to stern. A cloth she has earlier, instantly been thrown away at the counter near Liberty's plate.

"No. You are not quitting Liberty Carter." She bent down her head closer to her level, her green sapphire eyes glistens in madness; almost looks challenging. She stands there in front of Liberty with palms clutching on the counter. The gentle and sweet woman before is nowhere to be found anymore.

"And why is that?" Liberty lifts her head. Her eyebrows raise in challenge, she clenches her jaw to the disapproval of her mother.

"Why? What kind of question is that?" Lucy scoffs cynically, with no trace of humor.

"Do you know how hard it is to find money nowadays? If you don't exceed their qualifications?" Lucy continues her uproar. her feet begin to feel uneasy staying in the same spot. She walks back and forth, from left to her right.

   " No. Actually no. I believe that I could find money anywhere and I believe that God is generous and compassionate. and he will show and lead me the right path as long as I endeavor and strive for my good." Liberty's jaw squares, staring daggers at the counter, doesn't dare to look at her mother in the eyes because she is afraid of the killing look she might give her that she would regret later.

   "That is not how the world works Liberty Carter! The world is not like what you think! It's not a playground where you can try here and there! " Lucy grimaces incredulously.

"Then what do you want me to do?" Liberty exclaims, leaving Lucy in utter shock.

This time, Lucy just stands there and finally feel the urge to listen.

"What's the point of going to classes when I can't focus on anything, when everything that I could think of was how a bad daughter I was that I killed him?" Liberty rants in just one breath, almost choking the air.

Her green sapphire eyes begin to gleam in tears as the overwhelming feeling demands in taking over her soul. She couldn't believe what she has just said, neither Lucy. Maybe this was what she has been keeping in her heart for long, a thought that she didn't say out loud, the thought that she killed him.

Stunned by the confession, Lucy stands there with semi open-mouthed, scrunching her eyebrows, she stares at her daughter incredulously.

"You didn't kill anybody." She pauses. "Your father's death was a fate. It's something that we need to understand. His time came up, that's all"