8 • Encounter

IT HAS BEEN A MONTH since the last tragedy

IT HAS BEEN A MONTH since the last tragedy. The following days fill with numbness and restless evenings with nightmares tingle.

Liberty had been constantly feeling like this before, what makes the difference now is it only agonize twice as much usual.

Most of the nights, she'll dream of those twisted and deranged miseries of her father, ones far away from reality that would almost rip you into mayhem the moment you wake up, just to realize that it was only a dream that felt too real. And now she has more of that and a few more extra bad sequels of the season.

She had been feeling too much until sometimes she would feel nothing at all, yet a lot of whiles it all always spills and splash, leaving messy puddles of her own volatile emotions everywhere.

Every day, she wakes up feeling dreadful, body latching, and aches to stay in bed all day, constantly colder feet than the cement and stomach that growls too often that was loud enough to echo in the entire room. Only god and probably the college system know how many classes were skipped than how she planned to.

At times like this, she thought maybe it's best to surround herself with people she truly wants to be with and ones with positivity, when she couldn't provide enough of that to herself. Even when she's reluctant to the choice. However, it works, of course at some point, those filthy feelings always manage to kick in. But, It works right?

Ever since that night, she had been avoiding mostly calls from her friends and she's grateful that everyone is getting back to their life, college, which equals tons of continuous assignments so her escape wouldn't be a question mark to vanish from radar. It would only look like she's in one of those busiest days which apparently, a whole month.

Fingers stuck on piles of books on the cross runner trolley, she ponders at the drizzle trickle down the foggy wide glass, gloomy skies above solidify her patchy mood. There's a faraway look in her eyes, thoughts drifting away everywhere but the current moment. It was quiet, too quiet around, no distraction to shut the deafening thoughts in her mind. If Derry didn't take an emergency leave, maybe her presence could help, and not just emotionally but a big help to handle the tons of new arrivals.

"Do I pay you for that?"

The words soak with bitterness, once her ears immediately pricked to the womanly but venomous voice, no other would it be than Winter Zachary. Collecting every piece of focus she lacks, she tries to zone back in the moment.

"Oh um, no, sorry" Liberty stammers and starts to work her hands on the books busily, feeling pair of icy blue eyes shredding her into pieces.

"I don't need your sorry. It's useless." Winter snickers. "You got two more boxes coming in, and you're here, being useless like how you're always are by doing nothing."

"I'm sorry?" Silently, gritting her teeth to the utter false statement. First of all, she rarely visits the store, and second, she knows nothing about the store. "But, from the stocks I've checked, it says there are only five boxes coming in today, and this is the last box-"