9 • Conundrum

THE DOOR SWINGS shut a pointy clutch beneath her reckless touch

THE DOOR SWINGS shut a pointy clutch beneath her reckless touch. Right after, her thumb torments from the worn-out leather key chain, jingles of unnecessary accessories of the car key to the lock button. Above, soft drizzle phasing gradually into liquid bullets, soaking her navy trench coat. Nevertheless, none of these are able to beat the highest primacy. 

Her eyes darted to the acquainted entrance. With implausibly dangerous speed, she sprints on the wet cement below, mixes of little pebbles and puddles sputters on each click her heels conduct.

Two knocks swat the door, followed by another desperate three. As soon as the door fling open, The knot inside her stomach loosen slightly. Contradicting the terror that spikes in Yolanda. Through her vision, Liberty looks no close to a human being but a standing corpse at her door, her drenched coat drips and pooling a small puddle at the welcome mat below, skin pale as if no blood is running in her veins and no curves to her dry lips. While she, all wrapped with coziness and rich in warmth in her loose cream turtleneck, blue jeans, and a pair of magenta socks, peeking out the ugg boots.

"Oh god! Liberty! What happened to you?" She pulls her arm in quickly but gently, dismissing approval. "Come in! It's freezing out here!"

She locks the door behind with choppy hands then begins to scramble to one of the hallways. 

"I'll get some fresh warm clothes for you and blankets, wait here." The voice begins to hollow as she struts away.

However, waiting is nothing Liberty could bear any more. 

   "Mrs Yolanda?" the question rolled off her tongue more as a statement, snapping Yolanda's attention right away, leaving her stunned.

   "I really need to see River, is he in?" 

Yolanda squeezes her eyes shut, taps her forehead a couple of times, then waste no seconds, she points to the basement corridor. 

"Um... yeah totally, he's... in," she squeezes her eyes again to think. "the basement as usual!" 

Her tongue ramps to the demanding rhetorical vocal, trying to neutralize the abrupt pressure.

   "Thank you," 

________________

FEW FEET APART of the door, whiff of lavender soothes her nose, affirming his existence as he only lit them up if he's inside. From above, the room is swallowed by darkness but as she rushes off to the last step of the staircase, her eyes do not roam for him as the only illumination in the space is the soft yellow LED being lengthened above, the perimeter of the shallow ceiling. There, she found him at his desk engulfed by the glow, gaze glued into the many lit-up screens, folders, and papers scattered on the desk, a pen in one of his grasp with the elbow resting on the armrest.

   "River." She stated, loud and clear.

He jolted to the front, whipping the pen away at the same time, just right before accidentally knocking his knee under the desk. A loud groan fills the room.