Chapter 28

'Will not be ready for training camp.'

That was all Cameron heard. All he thought about. It was the death knoll for his career. Even though he would eventually play again, the coaches knew he was a ticking time bomb. And they'd replace him as soon as he showed he's incapable of performing.

He'd always known he'd have to quit but it had always been an abstract thought. He'd thought he'd have years still to even consider the end but this injury was forcing his hand. He didn't want to stop. He didn't want to keep away from the adulation of his fans. From the awe for getting the difficult passes, the rough skirmishes. Anger brewed under his skin. His hands fisted. Fury raged. He still had a few more years to go. If only he could just push a bit faster, harder. As long as he didn't miss training camp.

An arm slid through his. Sharon's arm. He blinked. He hadn't realised he'd been standing at the hall leading to the living room at home. And he'd been there for a while if the clock wasn't tricking him. His mind had been consumed with anger and, lurking at the base of it, sadness. He'd have to give up the sport that he loved his entire life. His childhood and adolescent had been spent practicing and training. He didn't know who he'd be without the sport.

Without him realising it, Sharon had guided him to the sofa in the living room and had snuggled against him. Just letting him rage. Letting him think. Her arms were about him, one was burrowed against his back, under his shirt while the other patted his chest absently. Her head fit perfectly against his neck. Her warmth a welcome anchor from his dark thoughts. A balm for his fear. Although, he was admittedly getting distracted from the way her breasts were pushing against his side.

'Are you feeling better?'she asked, looking up. He didn't have enough time to avert his eyes so she caught him eyeing her breasts. The patting hand hit him. 'Cameron! I thought you were upset.'

'Well, I am. Was. But you distracted me,'he said defensively. Then he leered at her. 'I don't mind this distracting. It'll work better if you shed a few layers of clothes.' She hit him again even as she giggled. Then, she asked again.

'Are you feeling better?'

He sighed and pulled her head against his chest. She struggled slightly but stopped when he said,'Just let me be. I need this' They were quiet but it was not a strained silence. There was a quiet intimacy between them. The kind that can only exist between two, intensely comfortable people. He breathed in the scent of her hair. Peach and apple, her shampoo. Mint, her soap. And the scent that was all Sharon. His body relaxed as time passed.

Finally he was ready to share.

'Dr Tucker said I won't make it in time for training camp,'he said softly. She didn't say anything, just nodded. 'If they do, this'll signal to the management and coach that I'm almost reaching my use-by date. They'll begin looking for a replacement. Eventually, I'll screw up and they'll toss me away for the newer, younger player.'

'But won't you have a say of when you can retire?'she asked.

'I do. But I don't like the idea that I'm, I'm-'

'Replaceable?'

He allowed the word to swim around his head. He'd gone through his life and career thinking he's the best. No one would be better than him, despite evidence otherwise. Teams had chased him, with absurd offers at the beginning of his career. He'd thought it was a one-off thing since he'd been the new shiny toy to be squabbled over. However, it had started again when he decided to switch team. It fed his ego, so much so that he'd felt he was necessary, vital to the team's win.

The injury burst his bubble. He was as exchangeable as any player-

'You're not exchangeable,'Sharon protested, moving to straddle him. He helped her by swinging her leg over. She didn't notice. Her eyes had been on him, blazing her indignation. 'If you were exchangeable, then why did they chase after you, throwing offers left and right? Practically prostate at your feet? Why are there millions of fans that scream your name every time you get out on the field? Why is your name everywhere I look even though you'd only been in the industry for 10 years? If you are exchangeable, you wouldn't have gone soo far now,'she ranted.

He'd never had anyone support him soo passionately. Soo absolutely. She believed in him. She supported him. Out of anyone, her belief and support helped him the most. Fired him the most. Her emerald green eyes softened and she smiled.

'And even if you are nearing your use-by date, I bet you'll be even more sought after for your experience and knowledge. Maybe you don't know everything but I'm sure you know enough to be invaluable to any team you decide to help,'she suggested softly. He knew what she was hinting. Coaching had always been the next step in his plan but to him, it'd meant the end of football. It'd meant he would be at the sideline, watching someone else score, get the adulation. But under her gaze, he felt his despair and abhorrence for coaching start to ease.

He gave her a small kiss. 'Thank you,'he whispered against her lips and demanded another kiss, longer and harder. When their lungs demanded air, they parted and he saw the same blaze of desire and want reflect in her eyes. 'We have to stop.' Even as he said that, their heads were moving closer for another kiss.

'Well, isn't this quite a welcome?'

They looked to the door and saw Amelia and Scott. Amelia looked particularly displeased.

  -----@@@@@-------

'What are you doing with him?'Amelia hissed as she tossed the salad. Sharon suppressed a sigh. She had been attacking their relationship since the guys had left to get take out. Every attempt to argue was thwarted by her incessant attacks. She was like a dog with a bone.

'Are you even listening to me?'she barked. Huh, what an apt description.

'I would if I didn't disagree with your stance,'she said calmly as she poured the brownie batter into the pan. It had been decided that the ladies would prepare salad and dessert while the guys get the main course. Of course, it had been decided by both Cameron and her to tackle Amelia and Scott separately in the split second before they were forcibly dragged apart. She had hoped to get Scott but in the whole scheme of things, she knew she had to placate Amelia.

'Cameron is a very nice guy. Sexy, protective and entirely too protective. He has introduced me to his parents,'she rushed to add when Amelia looked as if to refute her assessment of him. 'They are nice people but Cameron follows his dad. Once they've found the one, they're committed.'

'How do you know you're the one?'Amelia asked softly. It snapped her out of her dreamy reverie.

'He's going to marry me,'she said, the surety in her voice surprising even her. But, deep inside, she knew it was true. She believed him when he said it and it was a promise she was going to hold him to. 'I don't know when, or how. But eventually, we will.'

'Aren't you scared he'll get bored of you?'

'It's been 2 and half months since we've been living together and I've heard of no whisper or insinuation that he'd been with other women- Oh wait. There was that model...Stephanie? But nothing came of it. He wanted to file for sexual harassment!'she exclaimed laughingly as she set the table.

'Harrassment? Cameron? That's rich,'Amelia snorted. They shared a laugh. But when it was quiet, she looked intensely at Sharon. 'Are you happy?'

'Well, sometimes he infuriates me. Annoys me too. But he's the one for me as well,'she said softly.  The sisters shared a look filled with understanding. In that look, Sharon knew Amelia would back off and wish the best for their relationship but it didn't mean she wasn't going to stop looking after her.

And, after years of looking after herself, it pleased her that she had someone else looking after her back.

AN Hi... sorry for the looonnngg wait. but work drained me soo much. didn't expect it to be soo bad :(

but I've updated. tell me what u think. promise to be more frequent.

plus can you guys give me some reactions to what the world would think of their relationship. good and bad.

THANKS