Chapter 7: Feelings and the Force

Zelina's eyes fluttered open and she squinted lightly at the rays of sunshine that streamed into the room through the windows and glass double doors that lead to the balcony. With a small sigh, she pushed herself up, running a hand through her hair to pull the strands away from her face.

She sighed, her gaze automatically flickering over to the bed across the room. A small frown flittered across her face when she realized that Anakin wasn't there like her should be.

Did I sleep in, she wondered, slipping out of her bed. Her bare feet brushed the cool stone surface as she untangled her Padawan braid from the strands of hair that had twined themselves messily to the beaded strand. Her eyes took in the fact that one of the balcony doors were slightly ajar, and she smiled.

Anakin must be out on the balcony.

She made a quick trip to her side of the room's refresher, doing a quick clean up before she shruged on the simple gray shirt and darker gray pants and slipped out to the balcony.

It was much larger than Zelina had originally thought, spanning along a decent width on both sides of her. Pillars with vines and flowers wrapped around their cream stone lengths were evenly spaced along the edge of the balcony. A cream stone railing rimmed the edge of the balcony as well, and beyond it Zelina could see the lake stretching out from some point below the balcony, melding into the mountains across from her.

Anakin, just as she'd expected, was standing off to the side, hands clasped behind his back as he looked over the lake. Closer inspection revealed him to be trying—and failing—to meditate more or less. His rumpled light brown shirt seemed to have been thrown off as an afterthought, and his feet were bare like Zelina's were.

With a small smile, Zelina quietly came up beside him, sure that he could sense her approach. She let her gaze roam the lake and occasionally flicker towards Anakin's face. To any normal onlooker, he seemed at peace and truly lost in his meditation; Zelina, however, could see the slight crease of frustration as he struggled with the meditation. Her smile grew slightly as she let herself relax a little beside him.

"Any luck this morning?" she asked him softly, her gaze remaining on the lake and mountains sprawled out before them.

Anakin gave a small sigh, his eyes remaining closed. "None."

She repressed a soft laugh, shaking her head just slightly. Anakin frowned when he sensed her amusement, but she simply turned away from the scenery to face him. "Why don't we try something else then?" she said seriously.

Anakin cracked an eye open, his gaze curious and inquiring. She couldn't help but smile a little more at the look, and he sighed in resignation. "All right then; what are you thinking?"

She nodded towards the spot in the middle of the balcony. "We're going to try doing it together."

Anakin sighed again, though Zelina didn't miss the underlying tone of resentment in the sound. "I know that's basics and you think your above it, but it will help you."

Anakin rolled his eyes. "That's what Obi-Wan says."

Zelina eyed him in amusement. "I'm also well aware that Obi-Wan takes a different approach to meditation than you do. Come on, just go with it and see how it works out with me."

Anakin shook his head a little. "Alright, alright, I'll try it," he said, following her to the middle of the balcony. Zelina settled down on the ground, cross legged with her back to the lake. Anakin was the one struggling with the meditation, so she would give him the view.

As he settled down across from her, his gaze skeptical, Zelina smiled once more. "I don't think I have to tell you how to start...or do I?" she teased lightly.