Chapter 10: Bump in the Night

Back at the house, Padme changed into a sultry evening dress. Dinner had been wonderful, with Anakin sharing more of his stories of his adventures with Obi-Wan and showing off some of his skills with the Force to flatter Padme as well. Zelina found it amusing when Padme learned of Anakin's definition of aggressive negotiations. It was a term that both Zelina and Anakin had become very familiar with over there time as a Jedi.

Now night had fallen, and Zelina was currently returning from getting them all drinks. The tension in the room between Padme and Anakin had heightened during an uncomfortable silence, and Zelina had jumped at the excuse to escape the room.

Now she was returning, the three glasses neatly placed on a platter. Secretly, she hoped that the tension in the room had evaporated.

Just before she entered the room and announced her return, Zelina heard Anakin begin to talk.

"From the moment I met you, all those years ago, not a day has gone by when I haven't thought of you."

Zelina froze. This was something that she was not meant to hear. This was something between Padme and Anakin alone, and if she was right...

This was Anakin finally opening up about how he felt.

Zelina looked down at her hands clutching the platter. They were beginning to tremble, and so Zelina hastily put the platter down as quietly as she could on the table nearest to her.

In the room just around the corner, Anakin continued with a sigh.

"And now that I'm with you again...I'm in agony. The closer I get to you, the worse it gets. The thought of not being with you...I can't breathe."

Zelina slowly slid down the wall, listening with a growing ache in her heart. Why was she listening to this? Why was she still sitting out in the hall? She should turn and run while she had the chance, before she ended up hurt any further.

"I'm haunted by the kiss that you should have never given me. My heart is beating, hoping that that kiss will not become a scar. You are in my very soul, tormenting me. What can I do? I will do anything that you ask."

There was an uncomfortable silence, and Zelina could feel Anakin's open hearted honesty quickly morphing into regret and fear of rejection. Even a little of anger and frustration came rolling off of him.

Meanwhile, Zelina closed her eyes, holding back her tears as she resigned herself to the truth. She would never have Anakin's attention. His heart, his soul, his love, all of it belonged to Padme; he had just said it himself.

Zelina buried her face in her hands. Even though she was not allowed to love as a Jedi, and was supposed to focus solely on her commitment to the Force while dedicating her life to the Order and the Republic, she had still fallen for Anakin. She couldn't help it; it wasn't like she could wish her feelings away. Nor was she a person to ignore that they existed. Therefore, it still hurt her so much to hear him confess such undying love to another woman.

"If you are suffering as much as I am, please, tell me," Anakin suddenly said. His hurt at Padme remaining silent was thick in his voice. Zelina could imagine the muscle jumping in his jaw, his agonized soul clearly seen through his eyes.

I am Anakin. You have no idea how long I have felt like that for you. And I'm suffering now, listening to this. I'm suffering too Anakin, Zelina thought, kneading her eyes gently.

"I can't..." Padme said softly. Zelina felt her own temper spike at her words.

The guy pours his soul out to you and you won't even admit your own feelings? You just completely brush him off? I would at least let him know that he's not the only one, that he's not alone!