Chapter 11: Back to Tatooine

The next morning Anakin explained the situation to Padme when she stumbled across his morning meditation. Zelina was there with him, helping him to calm down enough for some light meditation.

When Padme entered, Zelina was immersed enough in the Force to notice how her presence soothed him considerably. Zelina's eyelids fluttered open as she brought herself out of her meditation, her gaze floating over to Padme.

Padme seemed to realize that they had been meditating, and she turned to leave. Anakin, however, stopped her.

"Don't go," he said, his voice so soft it sounded like a plea.

Padme paused, eyebrows raised as she spared Zelina a glance. "I don't want to disturb you."

Anakin took a deep breath. "Your presence is soothing," Anakin replied, stating what Zelina was already aware of.

Padme's gaze did not waver from the back of Anakin's head. "You had another nightmare last night."

Anakin stilled. "Jedi don't have nightmares," he said firmly. Zelina smirked a little, leaning against the column she stood beside.

Yes they do, she mouthed to Padme through the smallest of smiles.

"I heard you," Padme said quietly.

Jigs up Anakin. It seems that we're going to be addressing your nightmares sooner than you anticipated, Zelina thought.

Anakin pulled himself completely out of the meditation he had accomplished, staring out over the lake without really seeing it.

"I saw my mother," Anakin said quietly. Zelina could see his façade crumble, revealing how desperate and even scared he truly was for a moment as Anakin turned to face Padme. "She's suffering Padme. I saw her as clearly as I see you now."

Anakin looked away, unwilling to let Padme see the flurry of emotions that flickered across his face: fear, pain, frustration, and even some self-loathing perhaps. Zelina, no longer smiling, moved from her spot beside one of the columns to Anakin's side, putting a gentle hand on his shoulder in comfort and encouragement. Anakin sighed heavily, trying to regain control of himself before he continued.

"She's in pain," he forced out, continuing where he left off. He turned around to face Padme once more. "I know I'm disobeying my mandate to protect you Senator, but I have to go. I have to help her," he said, his voice clogged with emotion as he tried to make her understand.

"I'll go with you," Padme said simply. Zelina felt a wave of relief go through her. At least, in a way, they would still be able to protect Padme like they were supposed to.

"I'm sorry, I don't have a choice," Anakin apologized.

"It's alright Ani, we understand. We'll get ready to go right now, alright?" Zelina assured him quietly.

He sighed once more. "Alright...alright..."

"It'll be okay, Ani. You'll see," Zelina said quietly. Padme and Zelina both exchanged a look before everyone went their separate ways to get ready to depart for Tatooine.

***************************************

"I never thought I'd find myself back on this dustball," Zelina mused as they stepped off of the ramp of Padme's ship. She surveyed the familiar sight of Mos Espa that stretched out before her, grimacing.

"I did...but not like this," Anakin murmured, brushing passed her. Zelina didn't complain. She expected him to be in the worst of moods right now. He had every right to be. Zelina glanced back at Padme, gesturing for her to follow before Zelina started to follow Anakin. She jogged up beside him, falling into step beside him as they exited the space port and out onto the streets.