Some Old Friends

{Espio}

I can't believe this. Vector is such a stubborn crocodile but that's the reason why I love him. Even after all that drama, I still do.

For now, I walk to the park, wiping the tears from the corners of my eyes as I fold my arms and sigh.

Many mobians point to me and begin to gossip but I don't give a damn as I search for a bench and sit down.

I lay back and lean my head on the tree bark.

I never want to go back but I know that I have to. Despite what Vector said, he and Charmy are the only family I have left. They're all I have in this thing called life.

Time went slow. I am still in the park and when I checked my watch, I realize that I have only been there for 3 minutes.

It felt like 3 hours, if you ask me.

I sigh and close my eyes, placing my hands on my stomach. I take a deep breath to take in the scent of failure and defeat as tears come back to my eyes. I open them, noticing how misty they are so I wipe them to clear my vision.

The sky was calm. The clouds slowly move at a gently motion while a breeze blew gently against the trees. Leaves started to move with the wind as the sun shone bright above.

Peace. This is all I need...

Suddenly, I hear footsteps come my way. I sit back up with wide eyes and turn then gasp.

In front of me was a lime hedgehog with spike bangs and hazelnut brown eyes. He had a red vest on along with an orange pouch and some red sneakers as he stops walking and looks down at me with wide eyes.

"Espio...?" he gasps and I stand up.

"Manic...?" I feel my breath taken away as I step closer.

"You're really...alive...?"

I blink in surprise then gasp when he rushed to me and trapped me in a warm embrace. I feel him cry on my chest as he hugs me tighter.

"Manic?" I ask, confused. "W-What are you talking about?"

He pulls away from me, crystal tears falling down his cheeks and muzzle. "A-After Ferrell g-got captured and r-roboticised b-by Robotnik, e-everyone else in the pack g-got killed and/or r-roboticised. I...I was only able to escape b-because of my siblings..."

He turns away and wipes the tears before hugging himself. I frown and place a hand on his shoulder.

"Manic..."

He turns back to me with wide eyes then a smile creeps up on his face.

"Espio..." he walks towards me and tears up again. "the only reason I kicked you out was that I was stressed. I never meant to hurt you. Honest. And when I heard that you were alive, you had no idea how much I missed you...best friend..."

I begin to tear, tears rolling down my cheeks as I embrace him into my own hug. He chuckles and hugs back warmly then we pull away and begin to chat. We sit down on the bench and catch up on things.

"How have you been, Manic?"

"Pretty tired," he sighs and lays back on the tree bark. "For about a year, I've been living my life as a thief and a nomad; living by the streets and taking whatever I see as mine,"

I narrow my eyes at him. "Manic..."

He grins mischievously and just shrugs. "I told you, it's not my fault. I've been with Ferrell ever since I was a year old. I just did what I was taught,"

"Do you ever stop?"

"Oh, don't worry. I did,"

"When?"

"A couple of months ago,"

"How?" I raise an eyebrow.

"By someone...special," he blushes a deep red and I smirk.

"Oh, really now?"

"Yep! He's the same guy who told me you were alive,"

"Really? Who could that be?"

But before he could speak, a familiar voice interrupts us.

"MANIC!"

We turn and I gasp to see Knuckles run towards us. Manic smiles and stands up, welcoming my echidna friend's sudden embrace. My eyes widen at the realization the moment they kissed in front of me.

"What the?!" I am taken back, catching their attentions as they turn to me.

"Espio!" Knuckles smiles and helps me to stand. "Long time, long see!"

"Same goes...to you..." I let out a sigh of relief as I smile.

"Knux," Manic heads over to him and places his arms around my echidna friend's neck. "I'm sorry,"

"Whatever for?" Knuckles sounds confused while I become confused.

"I honestly didn't believe you when you said Espio was alive. I was too...unwilling..."

Knuckles sighs and kisses my best friend's forehead. "It's okay, Manic. I know how it is to lose people you love. You're forgiven,"

Manic smiles and turns to me then his smile falters. He pulls away and walks to me.

"Espio? You okay?" he asks and I tilt my head.

"What do you mean?" I question.

Knuckles turns to me and gasps with wide eyes while Manic points to my face. I am still confused until I touch my cheek to feel it wet.

I had no clue I had been crying the whole time they were embracing each other, with their love and everything. It hurt me so for it reminded me about...Vector...

I fall on my knees and begin to cry my heart out.

I didn't care if my knees hurt because of the rough cement beneath me. I wanted to cry and cry all I want.

"Espio?!" I feel two pairs of arms wrap around me and I look up to see their concerned faces.

I didn't care if anyone watched and just wept. My little drama went on for a couple of minutes until I calm myself down.

"I...I'm sorry for that..." I try to apologize but they shake their heads.

"No need to apologize to us like that, Espio," Knuckles tells me.

"We just want you to tell us what's the matter," Manic gently adds, patting my back.

"V-Vector..." I croak out, tears still clogged in my throat as I weep again.

"Vector? What did he do to make you cry?" I hear Knuckles ask.

I look up at them with tearful eyes and Manic gasps.

"You...like him, don't you?" he asks and I nod.

"Y-Yes..." I wipe my tears and Knuckles sighs.

"Hey, it's okay," my echidna friend reassures me. "We all get rejected,"

"Yeah," Manic nods in agreement then chuckles. "Sometimes, it's a harsh rejection while other times, it's just a simple friend-zone. Either way, all you can do is move on,"

I nod in understanding but I know in my heart that I couldn't take in their advice.

They smile and help me up on my feet again.

"Come on," Manic says. "Let's head over to my younger brother's place. Maybe it'll help you to calm down,"

"I agree," Knuckles grins.

I smile and nod. "Alright, let's go,"

We walk off, out of the park with me in between them so it wouldn't be uncomfortable for me. We chat as we walk, the pain in my chest easing slightly.

I love my friends...but I'm still in love with you...Vector...