On The Same Boat

Espio followed Manic and Knuckles to a familiar path. He looked around as if he knew the place but just couldn't remember.

'I swear I've been here.' he thought as he bit his bottom lip. 'But how is that possible?'

"Espy?" Manic asked, snapping the chameleon from his thoughts. "You okay?"

"Y-Yes, I think," Espio faked a smile.

Manic blinked at him for a while then nudged Knuckles, who had been talking until his boyfriend suddenly interrupted him.

"Hey!" the red echidna growled but soon noticed Espio's unsure eyes and Manic's concerned ones. "Uh, did I miss something?"

"Espy, what's up?" Manic began to ask again, more comfortable with his lover's support.

"Well," Espio sighed. "this path just feels...familiar..."

"It should," Knuckles chuckled with a grin. "We come here during emergencies, some missions and even special occasions like New Years or Christmas to celebrate,"

"You do?" Manic was taken back with wide eyes.

Espio gasped. 'Now I know why it seems so familiar! We're going to Sonic's place!'

After a few twists and turns, they end up at the doorstep of a cobalt blue house with an emerald green roof, a chocolate brown door, and crystal blue windows. Espio smiled at the familiar place while Manic rolled his eyes.

"Is this his house, Knux?" he asks in a sarcastic tone.

Knuckles chuckled. "Ha-ha. I know how obvious it is, Manny,"

"Too obvious," Manic held in a laugh.

They went up to the door and Knuckles knocked on it. They were greeted with silence so the red echidna tried again but was replied the same way as before.

'Why isn't Sonic answering?' Espio thought worriedly. 'I might not know him well but I DO know that he loves to answer the door and to greet friends. What happened?'

"Sonic..." Espio snapped from his thoughts and turned to his best friend, who had his phone out and was texting like crazy.

"Manic? Are you alright?"

"No," Manic shook his head and texted quicker. "Sonic should be active but he isn't even answering his cellphone,"

"Wait, you know him?"

Manic nodded. "Yeah, he's—"

The door suddenly creaked open, interrupting their conversation as they turned to the dark room.

"Sonic...?" Knuckles froze up but managed to step in. "Are you in here...?"

Manic and Espio gulped and stepped in after the echidna, who scanned the wall until he finally found the light switch. The room lit up and the three gasped to see everything topsy turvy.

"What the..." the chameleon was lost for words while his golden eyes were wider than saucers.

Manic's ears perked up, however, when he heard the sound of weeping. He rushed inside quickly, passing the other two, as his eyes went around the room. Finally, it rested on a familiar cobalt figure that was curled up under a table.

"Sonic?!"

X

The room was finally cleaned up and everything was right side-up again. Knuckles and Espio worked together to get the job done then they collapsed in exhaustion on a couch.

Sonic was curled up on another, all bundled up in Manic's arms as he cried his heart out on his older brother's chest. The older hedgie rubbed his younger brother's quills and hugged him close.