Part I: Velvet Rope (Date Night)

The doorbell dings as Erik enters the store. He breathes in deeply and lets it out slowly. He had not been here in almost a year. He remembers the exact moment he knew he was going back into hiding.

He met Imani at a bookstore. He was looking through some African literature, and he caught the subtle floral scent of her perfume pass by him. He put back the book he was looking at, turned out of the aisle and followed her towards the graduate study guides section. Standing at the end of the shelf, he took in her short 5'5 frame, shoulder-length brunette curls, and her abundance of curves from top to bottom wrapped like a gift in her maxi dress. He knew he had to have her.

She turned to give him a nasty look after noticing the 6', chocolate brotha following her, his laughter rang out until he saw her hand reach into her purse, "I have pepper spray, and if you're smart, you'll walk away now." He strides forward, stopping right in front of her. She quickly inhales taking in his deep brown eyes and handsome face up close.

"Do you really think that's gonna stop me?" She watches as he looks her up and down with a smoldering look in his eyes. "I was just gonna ask you what you are studying for because I could probably help you out," he steps back, "but I see you got it." He gives her a two-fingered salute and turns to walk away. She releases her hold on the pepper spray and looks at the study guide in her hand. She has already failed this damn test twice and needs to get a decent score for acceptance into her grad program.

"Hey wait!" Erik stops but does not turn around. "Do you really think you could help me?" She says voice lower than it was when she threatened him. A huge grin spreads across his face, as he turns around and slowly walks back towards her. He calmly takes the book in her hand.

"Logic Games for Dummies...so you're taking the LSAT, huh?" She looks at him and nods. "Yeah, I got you on this." He takes her hand, "I'm Erik." She is stunned, staring up at him. He smirks at her.

"Imani." She feels her face heat up as he brings her hand to his lips.

"Let me take you out for lunch and then we can get to work."

Another ding of the front door brings Erik out of his musings. He smiles thinking about the fact that he gets to teach Imani another subject that he is well versed in. He walks over to the customer service desk and rings the bell.

"Just a minute," came a voice from the back. "Well, well, well...if it isn't my favorite customer?" She comes around the desk and gives him a big hug. "How have you been E? The scene hasn't been the same without you."

"Hey V!" He hugs her back, lifting her in the air while she laughs. "I have never been better," she slaps his arms to put her down. She glares up at him, looking at the stupid grin on his face.

"Nigga, are you glowing? And I thought you left for a vanilla relationship anyways, so why you back here?" Erik has zoned out looking around the store; he missed this place. Now he was home. Vicky snaps her fingers and waves her hands in his face to get his attention back.

"Yeah, I did leave for a vanilla relationship," he smiles at Vicky, "but my lady wants to learn about the scene." V walks around the counter.

"How did you convince her of that? I know yo charming ass did something." She props her arms up on the counter, waiting for his explanation.

"2 words - 50 Shades," Vicky and Erik bust up laughing. The nearest customer jumps at the sound. "I swear yo, she had me watching that bullshitty ass movie and said she read the books. So, I told her I am the real deal." Vicky just looks at him. He puts his fingers up in the Boys Scout salute. She swats his hand down.