Chapter.12 | Regret

"So tell me the truth. Do you still love me?" He gently pressed my hands and stared desperately in my eyes.

His voice was like nothing I've ever heard before. It was soft-spoken and mellow, sending a warm glow throughout my body.

My shoulders hunched together like I was trying to disappear inside myself.
I didn't know what to answer him. I still love him, but I don't want to go through hell once more.
I know he won't let me go until I agree to come back to him, so what's the point of answering?

I suddenly remembered the day I ran away from Taehyung, but he still found me and forced me to come back to him.
Slow desolate tears ran from my unblinking eyes and dripped steadily into my jacket. I have no say in this.

There was a moment of silence before
Taehyung nodded slowly and let go of my hands. It looked like he had read my thoughts or something.
Taehyung let out a soft chuckle. I looked at him in confusion.

"I understand, I've hurt you a lot. I don't even deserve to stand here in front of you. I was an selfish asshole who always made you cry, and I hate myself for that. It's okay if you've moved on, I won't bother you anymore." He took a deep breath before he took a step backwards.

His brown eyes lost their harshness, becoming rounder, more glossy. Then all at once his face buckled, his breathing stopped momentarily and tears streamed down his cheek. But he was still smiling...

"They say the pain dulls with time, and that things will get better. But If getting past the pain means forgetting you, then I choose suffer my entire life." With that, he forced a smile and turned around. Each step lead him further away from me.

I stood there in silence as Taehyung disappeared from my sight.

W-what just happened?
My legs suddenly felt weak. Is this officially the end of us?
Unable to speak, I was totally stunned as I tried to comprehend what just happened. It all happened so fast, that I couldn't even recognize Taehyung. He acted so... Different.

I bent down and tried to calm my heart. It could burst at any second.

It just didn't make sense.
How did he just let me go? He didn't even make up any excuses? He didn't grab me by my arm and drag me in his car?
This is definitely not the same old abusive Taehyung. I have no idea what Taehyung might have been through in these past two years, but he has changed, alot.
But, how can a person change so drastically in just two years?

The thought of "what if he's just acting nice in front of me?" hasn't even entered my mind. Because I've seen the way he acted the day I crashed his car, and even today. He wasn't playing, I saw the hurt and regret in his eyes. If that isn't enough, I even noticed that his hands were shaking while he was talking to me.

Just imagining how Taehyung might have improved as a person, makes me want to run back to him.
But it's too late now. He has already left, thinking that I don't have any feelings left for him.
And why should I let two years of trying to get over him, go to waste?

It's been two years already, why is he suddenly showing up now? Is this some plan to make me suffer all over again? He wants to come in my life to make me realize how much I miss him?

I didn't even realize that I was crying until salty tears entered my mouth.
Agh, why am I crying? He was the one who cheated on me!
I grabbed my head with both of my hands and lowered my head.
Ah, I fucking miss him, it's so frustrating!

The only thing I could hear was the sound of my own whimpers.

Even the air had left my side, and turned cold. I don't know why I was still sitting on the ice-cold ground, and not going back home.

Suddenly I heard footsteps coming towards my direction.
Melinda?
She must've noticed that I've been out for quite some time.

I can't let her see me like this! With my head still under my arms I wiped my tears and quickly looked up.
My posture stiffened when I saw the person in front of me.

"Taehyung?!"