Chapter 3

"What the hell are you three thinking?" Damon demanded, storming into their hotel room.

Caroline shut the door behind him. "Damon, what are you doing here? It's supposed to be girls weekend." She wasn't giving anything away. There was a chance that Damon didn't know their plan. Maybe he was just there checking up on them and would leave as soon as he saw that they were at the hotel having legitimate girl time.

"Cut the crap, Barbie," Damon snapped. "I know you three aren't here on a little, girly getaway. You're going after the cure. Alone."

Caroline crossed her arms. "How'd you figure that out?"

"Please, it's a little obvious. I'm surprised your hybrid boyfriend hasn't already beaten me to the punch and dragged you back to Mystic Falls kicking and screaming." Damon crossed over to the bar, rummaging through the selection until he found a small bottle of Jack Daniels. He immediately opened it up and dumped the contents into one of the glasses on top of the counter, knocking it back. "How'd you guys find it?"

"Bonnie was able to do a reverse memory spell on Shane," Elena chimed in. "She broke through whatever magic was preventing him from seeing the island and found the way."

"So the four of you and Professor Creepy were just going to flit off to some deserted island by yourselves? Don't you remember the catastrophe you three caused the last time you thought it was a good idea to put your heads together?"

Damon was referring, of course, to the time travel spell. "Hey, it all worked out," Caroline said.

"Because of sheer luck or fate or whatever," Damon retorted. "That doesn't count."

"Don't be sexist," Rebekah interjected, walking forward and entering the conversation. "Besides, what do you have against us finding the cure? Do you not want Elena to have it?"

It was a low blow. Damon's conflicted emotions about Elena and the cure flashed across his face. "It's not about what I want," he answered, giving Elena a pointed look.

She stepped forward and took his hand. "So come with us, help us," she pleaded.

The crystal eyed vampire shook his head, pouring a second helping of whiskey. "I should call Klaus."

"So what are you scared of Klaus now?" It was Caroline's turn for the low blow. She knew Damon valued his pride. He was stubborn, just like the rest of them, and he hated taking orders or having to answer to anyone. Most of all, her boyfriend.

"Please, Damon," Elena repeated, once again going for the softer approach. Caroline could see a silent conversation passing between the two of them. A look from Damon that said if this is what you want, I'll do it for you. It made her feel a little envious of her friend's relationship dynamic.

"Fine," he relented at last. "Besides, someone needs to come along and keep you all in line."

Caroline laughed, grateful and relieved that Damon wasn't going to blow the whistle on them after all. "Well, you can try."

.

They met up with Bonnie and Shane at the small airport, who were both surprised to see that Damon had joined the group. Luckily-or maybe unluckily-there was just enough room to take Damon as a passenger. Caroline, Elena, Rebekah, and Damon all took seats in the back of the plane, while Bonnie joined Shane in the front, taking the co-pilot's chair. The sun had just dipped into the horizon as the plane took off from the small runway and lifted into the air. Most of their belongings had been left back at the hotel. They had only taken what was necessary, unsure if they would be able to find the cure right away, or if they would be camping on the island. Caroline didn't relish the idea of sleeping in the woods. She was definitely an indoor girl.