Chapter 6

Everything burned. Fire licked up her arms and legs, digging its burning claws into her flesh and devouring her whole. Voices screeched around her and she clawed at her ears trying to get the sound to stop. A loud roar shook her bones and she whimpered, trying to shield herself from the sound. Make it stop. Please, please! Make the fire stop! Her skin-it itched. It itched so bad. She just wanted it to stop, but something was holding down her arms. Voices swam around her head, male and female, speaking in a rapid cadence. High, low, fast, slow. She tried to understand what they were saying, to figure out where she was. Please make the burning stop.

"What about Rebekah?"

"The original bitch made her choice."

Woman's voice.

Man's voice.

Who?

"Just hang on, Care."

Bonnie. That was Bonnie. Her lips curled into a smile. She would tell Bonnie about the itching and the burning. She would use her witch powers to put out the fire in her skin.

"What are we going to do? Its takes four hours to get back to Norfolk..."

A painful drum pounded between her ears. It was getting dark and she needed her night light. The mermaid night light to chase the monsters away. Mom?! She screamed. But Liz wouldn't answer her. Dad?!

Her dad hated her. She forgot about that. He hated her because she was a vampire. Tortured her. Said she wasn't his little girl anymore. He might have killed her if Klaus hadn't...

Klaus! She needed to get back to him, needed to stop him from killing Elena. He had to know she was alright! That Mikael didn't kill her! Unless it didn't matter. Perhaps the centuries apart had changed him and he didn't love her anymore.

I didn't choose. I didn't choose.

"Just hold on Caroline and everything will be fine. You can tell him yourself."

She felt coolness against her forehead, but it was gone in a second and she whimpered at the loss. Her skin was crawling with ants, aching with need. She needed something. She was thirsty. She needed...

Blood.

Sweet blood.

Somewhere. Anywhere.

And then she could hear it...

Pound. Pound.

Pound. Pound.

Heartbeat. Human. Blood.

She lunged toward the sound, fangs extending, jaw snapping. Her vision went red and all she could think of was killing. Taking life. Feeling power.

"Damon!"

"I can't leave the controls!"

Something was holding her back, trying to keep her from the kill. Caroline strained and struggled against it. Blood. It was all that she wanted. All that mattered. Then she felt herself being slammed back, her spine cracking and she crumbled to the ground, the fire in her skin giving way to the burn of frost, a coldness seizing her bones. She couldn't breathe. Couldn't move. Couldn't think.

"She was hit...werewolf venom."

The voices. Her friends. Yes.

"Your fault!"

"I didn't want her to bloody die!"

"We're still two hours from the coast."

Voices faded in and out. Garbled arguments. Her hands went to her banging head as she tried to block them out. Calm down, please, you're hurting me.