Chapter 14

Klaus burst through the doors of Marcel's home, pushing past the vampire lackey standing guard, and yelling for Bonnie and Kol. It had only taken him seconds to sprint at vampire speed to the town house, with Caroline wrapped up in his arms, but it was long enough for the dreadful sense of déjà vu to come over him.

He remembered the wolves attacking, in the forests outside his home in London, centuries ago. He remembered Caroline's limp, feverish body, crumbling against his chest. Even though he had barely begun to care about her then, he remembered the haunting feeling of unfinished business sweeping through him. He remembered the sense of regret he felt, as he had never felt before. He remembered feeling that he was unable to protect her, a feeling that he hadn't felt beyond the bonds of family until she stumbled into his life.

The feeling was coming back again, even stronger this time.

He pushed it away, and called out again, his voice bellowing through the townhouse.

"They're in the study," the vampire called Thierry told him. He pointed at the large bundle in Klaus's hands that was Caroline still wrapped inside the large curtain. "What the hell is that?"

Klaus ignored the man, heading to the study and barging in. Kol and Bonnie were on their feet.

"What's the matter?" Bonnie asked.

"What's is that?" Kol pointed, repeating Thierry's question.

Klaus set the buddle on the couch and Bonnie gasped when she saw it was Caroline. The blonde moaned in pain, her hands moving to clutch at her stomach now that she was free of the wrap.

"That smelled terrible," Caroline complained, her voice weak.

Klaus brushed a hand over her head, pushing her hair from her face. "I'm sorry, love." He said, his voice uncharacteristically gentle. He turned to Bonnie, still kneeling next to Caroline on the couch. "She's wounded," he said pulling away her hand. The glass was still imbedded in her side. Klaus knew not to pull it from the wound-that the shard could be all that was keeping her from bleeding out.

Bonnie took her cue to action, kneeling next to Caroline and looking her over.

Thierry let out a scoff from the doorway. "If you're so desperate to save your blood bag, why don't you just take her to a human doctor?"

Klaus growled, flashed over to him, wrapping vengeful fingers around his throat. "Get out," he snarled, throwing him back and slamming to study door shut. Putting the vampire from his mind, he returned to Caroline's side.

"I know a spell," Bonnie said. "But it's difficult, I'm not sure how effective it will be since I can't touch her without losing my powers."

She stood up and went to one of the small books left on the table, picking it up and flipping through it. Her brown eyes darted over the parchment and her lips moved in silent recitation. Klaus bit at his tongue to keep silent while she took her time. A few moments later she nodded and shut the book.

"Kol," she said, a commanding air settling around her. "Call Stefan. Tell him to get here fast. He has some medical knowledge and can suture her wound if I screw up."

Kol stepped towards her, some silent conversation passing between the two of them, his eyes flicking across her face. "You be careful with this," he warned. "You know the—"

"I know," Bonnie interrupted. "It'll be okay. She isn't that close, I can feel it."

He nodded. "I'll grab some food for you. You'll need it."

Kol disappeared through the door, shutting it again. Klaus felt Bonnie stand next him again, but his eyes were focused on Caroline. Her breaths had grown shallow and he was doing his best to keep her conscious, afraid of what might happen if she fell asleep.