Chapter 15

"What brings you The Big Easy, brother?"

They walked down the old road, keeping distance from the drunken crowds. Elijah smoothed down his tie, stepping along the cobblestone street with an air and grace that only a man who had existed for more than a thousand years could keep.

"My impulsive little brother," he replied. "I received a call from a..shall we say, concerned party."

Klaus ran through the short list in his head of people who might have called Elijah. "I take it our sister is well?"

"Rebekah was not the one who called me," Elijah said. "Although, I'm happy to know that you haven't killed her."

"She's hiding out somewhere she thinks I can't find her," Klaus told him. "I'll deal with her in time." He glanced sideways at his brother. "Speaking of hiding out, where have you been recently?"

"Enjoying a chance to leave in peace with someone I care about. You should try it sometime." Klaus let out a derisive sound that was between a scoff and chuckle. "Where is the lovely Caroline this evening? I'm rather shocked to not see her on your arm."

"I assume that your informant has kept you up to date as to recent events." Elijah nodded.

"That Caroline has taken the cure and become human again, so you've trekked here to New Orleans hoping that the witches here can offer a solution to your predicament."

The two men stopped beside a bench sinking down onto it. A few drunken revelers crossed by them, laughing, and unaware of the danger that lurked just an arm's length away.

"You forgot the part where we also have an ancient immortal nipping at our heels hoping to kill her before she can be changed again."

The two brothers sat in silence for some time, listening to the sounds of the street parties. The stars were hidden away, behind a blanket of gray. Even the moon stayed away that night. Klaus's eyes flicked up to flashes of purple in the clouds. Heat lightning.

Klaus continued. "Kol thinks that a binding spell is the solution."

"The spell our mother used on you," Elijah said understand the implication. "What does Caroline think?"

"I haven't asked her."

"I see, and what do you think."

Klaus leaned forward, placing his elbows on his knees. "That I wouldn't want her to suffer as I have."

Elijah nodded. "I often wonder. What kind of man you would be if you had never met Caroline. I remember the days prior to and just after her appearance in our lives quite vividly."

Klaus sighed. Reluctant to play along with whatever game Elijah was getting at. "And what do you remember, brother?"

"I remember a man, consumed with an obsession. Who saw the world, as a dark and ugly place who had done nothing but wrong him. Who hid his desire for revenge and power behind a need to protect his family. I remember someone who always put his own wishes and desires before those of others, no matter what pain it caused them."

"Elijah," Klaus sneered. "You flatter me."

"You're cold hearted, it's no secret."

Klaus threw him a nasty look over his shoulder. "Have you come all this way to berate me?"

Elijah squared his chin. "No," he said. "I came to help you protect what you value most. You focus on Caroline, I'll find a way to defeat Silas." He paused for a moment for asking his next question. "Suppose that we defeat Silas, but Caroline cannot be made immortal again. What then?"