CHAPTER TEN | You Can't Stay Underwater Forever

KELLIN'S P.O.V

"Uhh, its for you?" He says, like its a question.

I narrow my eyes at him.

It's literally 6:15 a.m and I was jerked out of sleep to the sound of my doorbell being assaulted. I swear, Vic and that fucking doorbell; I'm this close to ripping it out of the wall.

-

My eyes shot open and I sat up so fast, all the blood rushed to my head. I had to grab my head and immediately lay back down. My mouth opened in pain and I sucked in a sharp breath through gritted teeth. I put my hand to my head and over my eyes, putting as much pressure as I could. With my other hand, I reach to my bedside table to grab my phone, but as soon as my palm comes into contact with it, I immediately dropped it out of pain. I sucked in another sharp breath as I drop my hand from my eyes to see why. My phone is now on the floor and I'm staring at a tightly bandaged hand. I use my other fingers to press on the spot that blood was seeping through. I instantly regret it though as i hiss out an, "Ow, fuck."

What the h- Oh. Right. I remember now. Why did I do this to myself? I'm so stupid. That was stupid. Now I'm probably gonna get questions and concerned glances. I really was drunk last night, wasn't I? I press on the wound again, biting my lip to keep from making any noise. Great. Just great. I look to my bedside table and see a bottle of blue gatorade, a bottle of aspirin, and an empty cracker wrapper. More memories flood into my brain. I remember that Vic was here last night. Did I invite him over? I know Jordan was here, but I don't remember how Vic got here. God, I was acting pathetic in front of him wasn't I? Again. My cheeks heat up in embarrassment. How am I going to talk to him now? I shake my head and reach for the aspirin. I shake three out of the bottle and struggle to open the gatorade. I swallow them and close my tired eyes, enjoying the taste of the drink. The doorbell starts ringing again, reminding me why I woke up in a panic. I get out of bed, a lot slower this time, and rush downstairs to the front door with the gatorade still in my hand.

That brings us to where we are now; with Vic standing at my door, wet from heavy rain, holding a swaddled kitten under his jacket.

-

"For me." I say point blank, unimpressed, "A kitten." I cross my arms, "You did not get me a kitten."

"Okay, so, I found him stuck in the mud down by the tracks and its freezing outside and its raining and he's freezing cold and probably hungry and if I take him home my mom will kill me because she's allergic and she'll want to take him to the pound but he's too small and I know they won't take care of him and you have a big house and I bought food and a litter box, so could he just stay here until-"

"Vic! Oh my god, you have got to calm down, I just woke up and I only heard like two percent of what you just said, for god's sake let me wake up first." I interrupted him and rubbed my eyes.

"Can I come in? I'm freezing." He said, shivering, holding the swaddled kitten closer to his chest.

I rolled my eyes and opened by door wide enough for him to walk in.

He came in and followed me to the kitchen, where he sat at the bar while I set the gatorade on the counter and went to pour myself some coffee instead, left over from my parents waking earlier for work. I yawned heavily.

"You want some?" I asked, mid-yawn.

"Sure, thanks." He nods, arms still folded over his chest, holding the animal close to him.