Prologue

Okay. Sierra is not answering my texts and calls and I don't know what's the problem. She's ignoring me and I don't know what to do.

I knocked at my youngest sister's door.

"The door is open!"

I went inside and found her lying in her bed with a book on her hands. When she saw me, she rolled her eyes on me.

"Go out. I don't want to see you."

"You, too? What did I do?"

She got up and sit comfortably in the middle of her bed. She smiled sarcastically. "Where were you yesterday?"

"With Mandy? So what's the big deal?"

"You're really an ass."

"Don't talk to me like that, Marion."

"What's the day yesterday?"

"Friday?"

"And what do you do every Friday?"

"I go to the pack house and spend the night there."

"What else?"

"Movie marathon with Sierra."

"And what did you do yesterday?"

"I went on a date with Mandy."

"And you stood my best friend up. You do not know how worried she was yesterday or how sad she was. Or how disappointed she was when she learned that you ditched her for Mandy."

"Yesterday was the first time!"

"What's the date yesterday?"

"Twelfth of August. Her birthday." I whispered the last two words. Now I know why she's mad at me.

"Yes and you chose to be a dick yesterday of all the days."

"I'm sorry, Third."

"Say sorry to my best friend, First."

I went straight to the pack house and searched for Sierra. I found her in the garden, sitting on a bench. When she noticed me, she stood up abruptly and walked away but I caught her hand.

"I'm sorry."

"You shouldn't have promised me you'd come. I was hoping yesterday. You made me wait for you. But I guess it's alright. I'm just your sister's best friend and my 16 birthday is not that important."

She removed my hands' hold on hers and walked away but she stopped and said something without looking back.

"Never make a promise you do not intend to keep."