Chapter 1

Follow me on Instagram and Twitter!
Instagram typically_tori
Youtube @ TypicallyTori
Message me for Twitter!

I wake up to the blinding sun shining through my windows and I shield my eyes. It's Saturday which means I only have two days until I start school again. I can't say I'm thrilled but whatever gets me out of here faster.

My mother Jocelyn at one time was kind and loving, everyone says I'm her mini-me. With my red hair and green eyes but I don't see it. We have similar features but hers are so much more defined than mine.

It's the same with our artistic ability I'm good but my mother is great. With every stroke of her brush, she evokes raw emotion.

My father Valentine was away a lot when I was a child, off fighting in the war but he's home now for good. I wish I could say that's for the best but I can't. In fact him being home has ruined my sense of normalcy that I've tried so hard to regain.

My best  friend is more than what I deserve. Simon Lewis has been there for me more times than I could count. I have all these people who I love that are there for me so why do I feel like something is missing? Like I don't belong here. Maybe I'm just being dramatic. That's what my uncle luke always tells me. He may have a point. Luke isn't really my uncle, but he's been like a second dad to me or more like the only father.

I used to call him dad but when Valentine came home for good my mom made me stop. Luke got downgraded to uncle but just title wise in front of Valentine. Luke will always be my father, he might not be blood but he's the father I deserve, the father I choose.

Valentine came home from the war almost two years ago. He " gave up the war to be with his family." or so he claims but I don't think that's true. He didn't give up anything, he came home because he was intimidated by Luke as he should be.

Luke, Valentines once best friend is my mom's soulmate. Valentine might have been my mother's first love but Luke is her last. I firmly believe that. Valentine may have deserved her once but he certainly doesn't now. Luke is the one who gave up the war to come and help my mom.

Luke is the one who took care of me when I was sick, tucked me into bed, read me bedtime stories. Luke was there for me and my mom when Valentine wasn't and he hates him for it.

I'm sure Valentine was once a decent man, a kind man, one worthy of my mother's love. Otherwise why else would my mother stay with him? Why would she have loved him in the first place?

If that man existed the war has erased him from my memory and his too. Sometimes or all the time  I wish he'd go back. Does that make me an awful person? Maybe but at least I'm not a liar.

My mother can't see it, blinded by love or whatever you call it but the man that came home is cruel. Maybe that's who he's always been, maybe war changed him, all I know is that man is not my father.

I sigh as I look through my closet for something to wear to check out Simons competition. That's just what I need to get my mind off things, spending time with my best friend.
My mom thinks I'm being unfair to Valentine but how can she not see she's not being fair to Luke?

Valentine forced him out of our lives, he gave my mother an ultimatum and she chose wrong. I would never let that monster cut my true father out of my life. I still secretly see Luke almost every day. But Valentine did succeed in cutting someone else from my life. Someone that means the world to me.

I shake my head as I pull out an electric blue v neck top and black skinny jeans. "Get it together Fray!" I chide myself.
I put on my ankle boots with the secret hiding spots for my knives and walk down the stairs hoping to go unnoticed. Call me paranoid but after what happened to me that night, I will never leave unarmed again. I shudder as I push my thoughts away.
"Clary! Just in time for breakfast!"  I knew I wouldn't make it out, I never do.