Chapter 5

My heart slams against my chest as my feet pound alongside the concrete. Chasing after the man that almost took my life isn't exactly my best idea.
But here I am, my rage propelling me forward.

All I can think about is everything I'm going to do to him once I catch him. Once I wrap my hands around his neck, maybe then the pain will cease.

As round the corner  I'm lifted in the air. Once I'm on my feet again I spin around coming face to face with Luke.
"Why did you do that!" I fume

"Why did I stop you from charging after a deranged lunatic? Geez Clary I have no idea."

"I would have been fine." I say fiercely," it's him you should fear for."

"Clary, what if he was leading you into a trap? What if you followed him and were ambushed?"

I know he's right but It doesn't make me feel better.  It doesn't lessen my need for revenge. It doesn't feel fill the void where his lifeless body should take place.

He followed me tonight, there's a good chance he never stopped, which means he wanted to get caught. And I almost fell for it. Like a fish in the ocean, I took the bait.

"I know, " I sigh "I'm sorry Luke I just wanted..."

He wraps his arms around me as he tucks a curl behind my ear, " you wanted him dead. So do I Clary but you can't do that again, I might not be here to stop you next time. "

"I know, I won't do it again."

"Promise me Clary."

"I promise."

He sighs like a weight has been lifted off of his shoulders. It feels like a ton has been added to mine.

"Are you okay?"

"Sure, I'm fine."

"Clary you don't have to be strong in front of me, you haven't cried or..."

"I cried enough that night to last me a lifetime Luke." He nods in resolute.

We walk along the shadows, Luke following a few paces behind me. I want to tell him to go back, it's not worth the risk. I'm not worth the risk but he wouldn't listen.

He stops walking abruptly as we get to my driveway. "I'll wait right here until you're inside."

He hugs me tightly to his chest, "Just one more month Clary. Just one more and then you can move in with me."

I grin then, not forced or even fake but a genuine smile. One so few can evoke from me now.

My smile fades as I walk up the steps and Into the house. I shiver as the icy air fills my lungs.  Valentine always keeps it frozen in here, maybe the frigid air reminds him of his heart.

"Clary, " a hard voice chides

I turn around slowly meeting those black eyes. "What?"

"Do you have any idea what time it is?" Valentine asks.

"No, but I'm sure you're going to tell me."

His fist strikes out quick as lightning but now I'm faster. I easily sidestep him and walk up the steps, ignoring his frustrated cries. I wonder what pisses him off more the fact that he missed or that he can't hurt me anymore.

I lock the door behind me and plop on my bed almost begging for the blissful darkness that awaits behind my closed eyes.

*******

"I can't believe he tried to hit you again."
Simon says as I shut my locker.

"You can't believe a monster would hurt his only offspring?"