Chapter Twelve

Sebastian's POV

Maybe I was wrong. Maybe I was right. But what I was certain on was that I hated the confusion in my head and the one being newly formed around my heart.

I had always had feelings for Emily. Falling in love with her in high school was everything, but when things ended the way they did, I understood that her feelings would never be the same. And the time apart didn't help. Years of lost communication and distance would do that to anyone. I knew it was completely over. It wouldn't ever be between us even if I tried, so it was best to let it just fade away. But it didn't.

Naomi, on the other hand, I only disliked for one reason. She wasn't Emily. But today, as I sat across from her on the picnic blanket, I saw her for her. She glowed and flushed as she told me stories from her childhood— what it was like to grow up as a princess with a very strict father— and I found myself relating to her because our fathers had lots of similarities.

It was only fair that I gave her a chance of proving herself instead of lashing out at her. I also knew that regardless of seeing her in a new light, I was not ready to get married to her and have her by my side for the rest of my royal life. It wouldn't be fair to me or Emily.

I covered my face with my hands from exhaustion, thinking and wondering and asking myself about the future ahead of me and the entire kingdom. I had a huge responsibility that was now draining my sanity and mindset. I couldn't make everyone happy. Someone was about to have me forever, and someone would have to be dealing with a broken heart.

After a few more minutes, my cellphone chimed on the desk. I peeled myself off the bed to retrieve it. It was Emily asking me if I could meet up with her because there was something very important she had to say to me.

I got dressed and sneaked out the back to my personal vehicle then drove to Emily's hotel where she was standing a few feet away from the hotel's entrance. When I pulled up, she got in quickly and let out a very loud sigh.

"Seb," she began, "I've been thinking about everything, and I really don't want to cause you any complications, especially with your duties and expectations as king. So I think we should just pretend like we never met each other here."

"Don't you dare!" My blood boiled instantly as I snapped at her. She was startled by my response and, honestly, so was I. I exhaled and calmed myself before finding the perfect words. "Okay Emily, I'm sorry and I understand."

"You do?"

I nodded my head yes.

"So that's it? you're just going to give up on me just like that?" she asked.

I chuckled lightly and shook my head. I pulled her over to me and planted a kiss on her forehead before kissing her lips.

"I can't give up on you by myself, so if you want me to, then I'll be forced to oblige to your wishes."

"Well, what if I don't mean it?"

"Then I'd advise you to have a clear head before speaking." I released her gently but her eyes stayed on me.

"I'm confused and my best friend dropped a bombshell on me, this is just all so much."

"Ha! you should try ruling an entire kingdom with a strict father on your back constantly telling you what to do and how to do it."

She cupped my face with her gentle hands. "Your wedding is coming up soon. I want you to be happy. I don't think I'm fit to be your queen. You should marry the princess and be happy with her."

"You're not certain about that, so can we please change this subject? Let's go grab something to eat."

I started my vehicle and drove to my private restaurant where fast food was served to us. I enjoyed eating fast food and junk just like anyone else.

Afterwards, Emily and I took a walk. We approached a cliff with miles of ocean before it. I circled her with my arms as she stood in front of me, taking in the night view.

"I have feelings for you, and I can't pretend as if they don't exist, but to be honest with you, I'm really scared of the future because there's a very high possibility that we would have to end this one day, Emily."

"I know, but my mom has taught me one thing, to live in the moment and, in this moment, all I want to do is to enjoy you."

We kissed and I feared it was going to be our last.