Chapter Sixteen

Emily's POV

I rested against his chest, exhaled slowly, and felt myself like a cherry on top. I was scared of falling in love with him because he wasn't mine to claim anymore. I pushed away as I remembered that.

"We can't do this." I wasn't ready for the shit storm I knew would be coming our way at anytime now. The media would have a frenzy and the King would have my head for lying with his son while being engaged to the Princess of Scots.

"You're scared, aren't you?" 

It was clear that he knew me better than I expected, and I was strangely impressed.

"I'm sorry to interrupt, but I believe the King is here," Gen said as she walked into the bedroom. 

The beats of my heart quickened and I held onto Sebastian as if I were holding onto dare life altogether. "Where is he?"

"Right outside the door," she answered.

"They must have followed me here when I left the church, but don't you worry, nothing is going to happen to you," Sebastian said before kissing my forehead like always. 

He walked out the bedroom and I tailed slowly behind to eavesdrop on the conversation between him and his father, if there'd ever be one.

"You must be out of your mind!" I heard his father's voice. "You left your wedding to come to another woman's hotel room?"

"Dad, that woman means so much to me than you'll ever know," Sebastian said, and I smiled to myself.

"Let's not have this discussion here, but believe me when I say this, this isn't over! Guards, take him back to the palace!"

I heard a short scuffle and the sound of fading footsteps. The door pushed open and I moved out from my hiding place and came face to face with the King himself.

"You look familiar," he said.

"Emily Hollen. You requested my presence when I wanted to—"

" Ah! The hotel lady."

"Yes, sir."

"So you're the one having my son behaving the way he shouldn't be?"

"Your Majes—"

"Who do you think you are? You come into my country, build on my land and corrupt my son. Let me make myself perfectly clear Miss Emily Hollen, stay away from my son. He's not for you!" At that, he turned away and left.

I heaved a sigh and threw myself down on the chair and another knock came on the door. Gen opened it and there was a large group of paparazzi and people from the media shouting questions at her.

"Gen, was Emily Hollen the reason Prince Sebastian walked out on his wedding?"

"Are they having an affair?"

"What did the King say to Emily?"

"Is she going to be banished from the palace and the country anytime soon?"

Gen was stuttering and trying to control the media to no avail.

I got up and shut the door in their faces, locking it from the inside. 

Gen breathed with relief. "I'm so sorry but this is beginning to get very ugly."

"I know."

____________

Two days later, the media was still at it. I couldn't walk the streets in peace. They camped outside of the hotel just to get pictures of me and to shoot ridiculous questions to which they weren't interested in knowing the truth.

"I think I should leave for real!" I shouted and stormed into my closet.

"Are you serious?" Gen looked on but my hands didn't hold the strength to pack, and I couldn't leave without saying goodbye to Sebastian. 

I dug deep for courage and fought back against the pain in my heart. "Gen, we've overstayed our welcome. Tell the pilot the get the jet ready. We're leaving tonight."