Chapter Seventeen

Emily's POV

"EMILY, my darling!" my mother greeted loudly as her eyes caught me entering the dining room. 

I was pulled into her firm arms like a child and I found consolation in them. I missed my parents and I missed home.

She led me to the table and I noticed she was dinning alone.

"Where's Dad?" I asked, hoping something wasn't wrong. I had been away so long and I usually missed out on the family dramas, dinners and events.

"Oh, he's in the study getting some paperwork for Evan. He should be done any minute now." She started eating off her plate.

"Great," I answered shortly with a sigh of exhaustion.

"Baby, what's the matter?" She stopped eating and waited for me to answer.

"Nothing that I can't handle. I'm just winded and I think that I need about six months rest from all the hotels and travels," I said with a slump.

"Oh, my poor baby, you need to take a much needed rest, Emily. You've already done so much."

"I know. I just want to impress Dad. You know how much he wanted me to take over and to clean up the mess his mother made."

"Emily, your father doesn't need to be impressed. He knows you're capable of doing the job and he—"

"Hey, is that my baby girl?" I heard my father's voice and looked up to see him entering the room.

"Hey Dad." I tried to greet him warmly but he caught the facade.

"You sound exhausted and you look exhausted. Hotel life isn't treating you well, huh?" He sat down next to me.

"It has its ups and downs, but I can handle it, I swear. Sometimes I just need a rest. That's all."

"Well, you came to the perfect place. Welcome home." He hugged me.

We had dinner together and chit-chatted about the other family members— bringing me up to speed. I was happy that Evan and Jasmine were expecting twins and EJ and Zenia had finally settled and worked things out and were also expecting a baby soon.

"When are you going to make me a grandpa?" 

I choked on the last bit of rice.

"Ethan, don't ask her questions like that," my mother scolded as she reached out to rub my back.

"Sorry, but I am curious. Emily has always been so private with her love life since after Sebastian. Do you have a current boyfriend, Emily?"

I eyed my father. "It's complicated."

"See?" he said and we laughed warmly as the maids collected the dishes and took them into the kitchen to be cleaned.

"I think I'll hit the sack early. It's been a long flight and an even longer day. Dinner was great," I added before dismissing myself.

"Go on, get some rest. We'll see you in the morning," Mom said.

"Good night," Dad chipped.

"Good night," I said to them both and made my way to my childhood bedroom. 

I hadn't been in here in almost a year, and it almost felt brand new to me. I threw myself onto the world's most comfortable bed and tried to fall asleep but couldn't. I was thinking about him too much. 

I left without saying goodbye and I wondered if he'd leave it at that. Would he really move on with that bitter princess and forget all about me? Would he come looking for me? He had been to my parents house before and I didn't believe he had forgotten his way around the States just yet.

I got my cellphone and my fingers found his contact. I was on the brink of calling but I managed to leave it alone. 

I have to let him move on with his life, it's not fair to him. 

I had to cut all ties with Sebastian once and for all.

___________

I caught the rising of the sun the next morning because I didn't sleep well. I rolled out of bed like a log and made my way slowly to the bathroom. A sudden eruption in the pit of my stomach had me rushing. I reached the sink and my mouth exploded with the contents of food from last night's dinner.

I heard my bedroom door being pushed opened and tried to quickly gather myself but it was useless because I was still throwing up.

"Emily?" my mother called from behind. "Are you alright?"

"What did the chef put in that food?" I asked and rinsed out my mouth. 

I brushed my teeth afterwards and Mom excused herself when I told her I was taking a bath and I'd join her downstairs for breakfast once finished.

As a treat, Mom had the chef prepare my favorite thing to eat— extra fluffy pancakes drenched in syrup with strawberries and crispy bacon on the side. I sat down to eat, but as my nostrils caught the scent of my plate, I peeled myself off the table and ran for the nearest bathroom.

"Okay, that's the second time I've seen you thrown up this morning. Emily Hollen, are you pregnant?" my mother asked strictly with folded arms.