part 2

Joan of Arc (reader) X France:: Memories of you

Parts 2

(Time skip~ one year later. Month may)

        The trial to determine (your name)’s fate had ended over a year ago. She had been convicted of cross dressing and sentenced to life imprisonment as long as she wore women’s clothing for the rest of her days. This was not the worst that could have happened in Francis’ mind he had been terrified they would sentence her to death. It was bad enough she had been betrayed by her own countrymen and turned over to England to be tried but dying when you had done nothing wrong Francis couldn’t even consider it. He was just happy he could see her and know she was going to be ok. Sure he was still upset he would never be able to hold her again but at least he would be able to see her. That alone was a solace he wouldn’t trade for the world. Francis came to see ( your name) everyday he could to visit  often bringing her ( favorite flowers) or other treats when he could sneak them past the guards.

Today he had brought her a small square of toffee he had hidden inside his coat pocket. He hadn’t been able to visit the day before due to a meeting he had with the king and his musketeers. He was so excited to see her and couldn’t wait to turn the corner to her cell. But when he rounded the corner he saw his beloved in what he hoped never to see her in again. She was wearing men’s clothing…..the meer sight of this caused his heart shatter. For he knew the church would not be merciful a second time. Francis rushed to the cell and immediately started trying to convince his beloved to change back into a dress before she was seen but she wouldn’t no matter how much he begged.

"Mon Cheri you must!" exclaimed Francis.

"I won't!" replied  (your name)

"But they'll kill you if you don't!" replied Francis holding back the tears welling in his eyes as he pleaded.

"I'm not going to!" she replied turning away from him removing her hands from bars that separated them "and there's nothing you can do to change my mind!"

"Please (your name) I know you hate them but the Pope said that’s the only way you can live." he explained grabbing her wrist through the bars.

"I know I was there..." she replied dismissively looking back at the wall of her cell.

"Then listen to him! Please don't test him! I know he made fun of you I know he insulted you but please don't do this! This is your only chance! If they see you in men’s cloths again they'll kill you!" exclaimed Francis the tears he had been trying so hard to hold in beginning fall from his eyes in a way that was reminiscent of a flowing river or that of a water fall cascading down his cheeks as his voice lost the strength it had had only moments before as he pressed his forehead to ( your name)'s hand. "Please (your name ) please I can't live without you......." he said a single tear falling on her hand. “Please wear the dress for me. If not for any other reason do it for me...please….”

“I’m sorry Francis but I-I just can’t!” She exclaimed pulling her hand out of his grasp and covering her eyes as she began to cry.

“Why?!” he demanded grabbing the bars of the cell with both hands. That’s when he saw it. The bloody, cut, and ripped up remains of a dress that had been very poorly hidden underneath the prison cot in the corner of the cell. Stepping away from the bars his heart filled with anger his fists clenched. “Who did it?!” he demanded.

“W-what do you mean” asked (your name)

“Tell me who he was!” exclaimed Francis “I’ll kill him I swear it! I’ll make him pay for even looking at you!”

“Francis, P-please calm down.” Started (your name)

“Non! I will not calm down!” replied Francis “they hurt you.” He stated with a ferocity she had never seen present on his face or heard in his voice before “tell me.”

“Francis…..” she said looking at him for a moment and seeing the hatred and pain burning like an inferno in his eyes. “….it wasn’t your fault ….” She said trying to offer him so form of comfort.

“Non, it is.” He replied. “I should have been here. I’m so sorry mon cher….I’ll make it up to you.” He said looking away “I promise you I’ll make him pay.” He stated walking down the hall. He passed by a group of prison guards talking and he overheard one of them mention his beloved.

Pressing himself against the wall Francis listened carefully to everything that was being said. He listened as one of the guards recounted his most resent conquest. At every word, every detail, of what this man had done to his beloved Francis cringed and fought the urge to beat the man into the dirt till he couldn’t help himself any longer. Rounding the corner Francis connected his fist with jaw of man who had harmed his beloved and didn’t stop hitting him until the other two guards who had been standing there pulled him off of the guard he had been beating. Not being much a fighter to begin with it was not difficult to remove the young Frenchman but that didn’t mean he gave up on his assault. Francis kicked at the man and bit and fought the other guards with all he had to get to the guard on the ground, but it was to no avail. 

            “Release me this instance!” yelled Francis breathlessly still struggling to get at the man who still laid on the ground. However the two guards held fast to him making sure he couldn’t free himself as the man on the ground began to rise.

            “You’ll pay for that” he stated wiping his nose as he stood. The man was bleeding very heavily from a cut above his eye and nose and he was covered in multiple bruises causing him to a slight limp. This being said the man slowly mad his way over  to the subdued Francis and proceeded to punch him in the stomach.

             “Gah!” gasped Francis as the other guards released him causing hi, to fall to his knees holding his stomach.

            “Ha look at the wee little man!” laughed the guard. “where is all that fire you had not but a second ago?!” Francis said nothing he just glared at the man threw the blonde locks that had fallen in his face. “humph how pathetic” stated the guard as he crouched down to be at eye level with Francis. “You know something little man… I like you…you have spunk….so I’m gonna tell you a little secret” he said whispering in his ear. “I’m going to enjoy watching that little witch burn. When she screams as the fire consumes her I’m going to remember how she screamed for you to come and save her and how you weren’t there.~ And I’m going to make you stand there and watch as she’s slowly burned to a crisp….. every single last……second.” He said poking Francis’ forehead “Throw him in a cell.”

            “Yes sir!” replied the other two guards picking Francis up by his arms and dragging him so his boots were dragging across the ground. Francis just stared at the ground as he was dragged along no coherent thoughts running through his mind. There was nothing but emotions. So many that any words known to man could begin to describe. He was so close to breaking he didn’t know what to do.  “Have a nice stay” stated the guards as they threw Francis into the empty cell. Landing on the ground Francis saw one of the flowers he had brought for (your name) and held it in his hand as though it were made of glass as he curled into a ball and cried repeating the same phrase over and over in his head till it became almost hypnotic till he fell asleep.

“I’m sorry (your name). I’m so so sorry please forgive me…”